Need serious advice

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Need serious advice

Postby Hallmark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 am

Hi friends,

I have a little one of almost 7 weeks. I am only breastfeeding her. She is putting on weight too. In the beginning she used to take feed quite frequently as she tends to sleep while on breast. People used to comment ne that I am not making any routine with baby, and I shouldn't feed her every hour .. this way I am making her into a habit of feeding every hour. When I tried to give her feed after extending time gap of 2 hours my lo remained unsettled throughout the night and has been a lot grumpy and kept vomiting too.
Then I came back to normal routine of feeding her whenever she demands.
After 6 weeks I am noticing my baby remains awake thrroughout the day , doesn't demand much feed during the day and her poo has also lessened . But before going to sleep at night she wants more feed, people still says that I am over feeding her... I am really upset ...
Please help me... I am not sure if I am seriously developing a wrong routine with my lo or should I ignore peoples comments ... Y my baby doesn't sleep whole day... She just sleeps for few minutes Say 15 mins max.
Hallmark

Re: Need serious advice

Postby Esther » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:48 am

Sounds very normal to me. Babies are all different and do different things. If it works for you and your baby, then unless the person offering advice is going to be there to help at 3am, you can just nod, smile and ignore ;-)

May I suggest you try calling the ABA Helpline? The phone number is in the top right corner. You and a counsellor can go through what's happening and help you find out what you want to do.

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:59 am

Hi Hallmark,

Welcome to the forum. It can be really difficult when so many people are telling you that you are doing things all wrong when you are just trying to respond to you baby's needs. You will find a lot of support here for what you are doing.

So, to address some of those comments. Firstly you cannot over feed a breastfed baby. They simply will not keep feeding if they don't need any more. It is also really normal for young babies to breastfeed really frequently. It is also really normal for babies to start being more wakeful around 6 weeks and for the amount of poos they do to lessen as well. Just as long as they are still pooing and when they do it is nice soft and that you are still seeing plenty of wet nappies.

Don't worry about these people telling you that you need to get into a routine. If this is working for you it is none of their business. You cannot spoil a baby.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Postby Hallmark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks for your reply

People says if I feed her often like every two hours, lo will get into the habit of feeding so frequently. Is it correct??
Hallmark

Postby MamaMagoO? » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:21 pm

No. She is feeding frequently now because she is little and she needs too. Her feeding patterns will change as she grows and she will not need to feed as often. Then some days she will because she is feeling unwell, or is teething or is just unsettled for no apparent reason and this is all normal too. Babies breastfeed for both food and comfort and this is normal and fine. Nobody ever says you are creating bad habits and your child will never learn to use the toilet by using nappies. People understand that little babies are not developmentally ready for the toilet and that this will change when they are older.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Congratulations on your baby, Hallmark! MamaMagoO has hit the nail on the head. My only other thing to add would be that if you don't consider it to be a problem then it isn't a problem. Also, try not to worry about something that could become a problem, because "bad habits" can always be changed.

You're doing a great job, the early days are really tough. You know your baby better than anyone else. All babies are really different too, so what can turn into a habit for one may not be a problem with others.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Hallmark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks very much . I am feeling good after reading your replies.
Hallmark

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:52 pm

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of feeding to your baby's cues :D Trust your instincts. My DD fed every 2 hours around the clock until she was a year old! Breastmilk is very easily digested, within about 90 minutes. So it makes sense that they need to feed frequently. I am wary of routines as I tried this with my first baby (feeding 3-4 hourly) and his weight gains slowed right down. I was lucky that it didn't adversely affect my milk supply.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Return to Early Days