6 week old.. Feeding every hour!

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

6 week old.. Feeding every hour!

Postby Mrsf » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi there :)
Desperately looking for some advice. My gorgeous 6 week old son has been unsettled for the past two days. He had difficulty sleeping during the day. Only napping for around 20 min sessions. Today he has been unsettled again, however napping for around 30-45 min intervals but feeding every hour on the hour. He normally doesn't mind being placed in his bassinet when he's tired however, third day running... He's hating it! He only likes to be held and he still cries then grizzles and then falls asleep. Safe to say.. I'm exhausted! My milk is running low.
I am a little concerned as to what's going on. I did have an oversupply problem which has now been corrected.
Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice? Is this something to be concerned about?
Thanking you in advance :D
Mrsf

Re: 6 week old.. Feeding every hour!

Postby Tiggle » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:29 pm

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come through soon but I thought I'd reassure you that it's pretty normal for that age. I think there is a wonder leap around there. My DD spent a day feeding every hour which was exhausting, so I feel your pain! Also this isn't a symptom of low milk supply rather just a fussy baby who wants more comfort & milk, things will hopefully get back to normal soon.
Tiggle

Postby Esther » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Checking the number of heavily wet and pooey nappies can be very reassuring at times like this. It does sound very normal for this age to me though too. Although exhausting and draining! Previously sleepy babies can just suddenly wake up :shock: Babies are constantly changing what they do and sometimes it was all I could do to try to keep up!

You are welcome to call the ABA Helpline. It's 24/7. 1800 686 2 68. A counsellor can talk with you about what's happening.

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby Yankee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi and welcome, I second calling the helpline, the ladies are so lovely.

I just wanted to add that you mentioned feeling like you used to have too much milk and now you don't have enough ... for the first 6 weeks, your breasts are still working out how much your baby needs, and for some women that ends up feeling like 'too much', lots of firmness, etc. After about 6 weeks they "know" how much to make for your baby, so it can sometimes feel like your breasts aren't making as much milk. As Esther said, the 'output' (poos and wees) are a better indication of whether your baby is getting enough milk. This is a great article about it: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... nough-milk

You have my sympathies. When my little girl turned 6 weeks I felt like she suddenly 'woke up' from a dozy newborn, like she suddenly realised there was actually a world out there. Unfortunately that can also be when colic and arsenic hours start to kick in! But it does pass.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Return to Early Days