5 weeks in...

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

5 weeks in...

Postby Ronale » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 pm

So I haven't posted much, although I've been around, because things are busy. (I'm sure many of you are unsurprised by this!) But I thought I'd update how we are going so far.
Oliver was born 5(!) weeks ago by 'elective' c-section, and after a brief stint in SCN as he was grunting while breathing and they were concerned, everything seemed to be going reasonably well. I thought he was checked at birth for a tongue tie, but after 24 hours, it seemed to me that he had a tongue tie so I asked if there were any LCs on staff. There were not :shock: apparently they used to have some, but they let their qualifications lapse, and haven't been replaced. So, the paediatrician who saw O at brith was coming back to do a final check of him and I could ask him to check for a tongue tie. He checked, confirmed that there might be a tongue tie but felt it would stretch well, and he didn't really want to snip it as it would likely bleed. I wasn't thrilled with this, as my experience suggested that I would continue to be in pain until it was snipped, and the attachment to me seemed fine, however he didn't just dismiss my concerns. So I asked my LC friend to come and see what she thought - sure enough, she agreed there was a tie. I asked the paed to snip it the next day and he declined and referred me to my GP (who happens to snip ties). So appointment booked, and the tie was snipped when O was 1 week old.
Fast forward to now... I've felt for the past week that there might still be a tie (he is losing suction at most feeds), and so went to the local bf drop in clinic run by my friend last week, but due to a clashing appointment, and a mum who dropped in with a baby with a cleft lip/palate :shock: :shock:, I didn't get a chance to have a chat with her. So she had some time today and we finally caught up. She confirmed that he still has a posterior tt, but as the main option here is currently on leave and booked until mid October, and O is obviously transferring milk well (hello all the rolls, and 1.2kg weight gain in 4 weeks) and I'm not in pain, that we can probably just see how he goes over the longer term.
Has anyone had any experiences with uncorrected posterior tongue ties not causing issues at the start and then causing transfer issues once supply settles down?
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Re: 5 weeks in...

Postby JMc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 am

Gah! Beautiful boy! Look at that tummy! Obviously getting enough!

I have no experience of the ties but I hope things continue pain free and working well.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Postby Jenbt85 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:54 pm

I was only thinking of you today! I don't have experience of tt, but I'm glad things are going well. Hope they continue that way for you all :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby nobunnies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 am

No personal experience, but two, no three mums in my local group had babies with undiagnosed ties for some months and it wasn't until bub was a fair bit older that it became an issue. They got them snipped (maybe lasered, I'm not sure of the details) at that point, when their babies were variously between 4 and 12 months old. Just keep an eye out for pain (obvs) and reduced weight gain if bub starts to struggle to maintain supply, once your early rush of hormone-induced supply settles down.
Also, what a cutie!
Jen

Mum to Miss Froggie (March '07) and Mr B (June '09)
nobunnies
Site Admin

Postby snowie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:47 am

What a cutie!
The very experienced LC I've seen for DD2, says her tongue is doing interesting things. (and possibly has a very deep posterior TT.)
Yes very interesting that she started to damage my nipples again once she got to 8 months which LC is a classic time for more problems to emerge as the jaw undergoes further development at that time and teeth are on the move.

Background to DD2: She had problems stimulating my milk initially and I had to pump and use donor milk, for about 5 weeks, to help with weight gains. No poo from her after mec on day 1, until she hit 3 weeks, and then she did a number 3 in the car seat. Can I tell you I've never been so happy to see poo in all my life, but I was not impressed about it being in the car seat at the local shopping centre.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Postby Ronale » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:52 pm

haha snowie - that's the kind of suggestion I give mums on helpline to get a poo to come when it's been a few days - albeit these mums normally have babies a fair bit older, it must have been really worrying for you.

Thanks all - I'll keep an eye on it, I might put a note in my green book somewhere that this is an issue so that when they start getting anxious he isn't staying on his 'line' I can point to that and we can get it sorted then.
I am also a little worried about teeth, given his preference for not opening his mouth well, however I think things are starting to get better since seeing the osteo :)
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Return to Early Days