confused

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
sjharris88

confused

Post by sjharris88 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Hello my name is Sarah my little girl is 8 days old and my second child. Although she's my second this is my first time being able to breastfeed successfully. During the day she feeds really well and sleeps really well but once it gets to 6pm she's fussy won't sleep in her cot and wants to feed all the time. She also spits up at night when I put her in cot. Not sure if this is cluster feeding I've read a little about or if I'm doing something wrong. If it is cluster feeding how long dies it usually last?
Thanks

MamaMagoO?

Re: confused

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi congratulations on the birth of your baby and welcome to the forum. It sounds a lot like cluster feeding from what you have said which is really normal although it can be a bit tricky to manage especially when you have an older child as well. My DD ( also my 2nd child) was an all evening long cluster feeder too. I found using a baby carrier helped me to get things done around the house and having a useful husband was also a big help as I did have to resign myself to spending a good part of the evening on the couch with a baby attached to my breast. Also things like getting dinner prepared as much as possible earlier in the day so it just had to be heated was a big help too. Its hard to say how long it will last as all babies are different. 12 weeks is a pretty common length of time you hear, and I must say that DD did grow out of it at pretty much exactly 12 weeks. But that's not going to be the same as all babies. In some Eastern cultures they talk about the 100 days of crying which takes baby up to around that 12 week mark as well. I found it very reassuring when I read about that idea... I liked the fact that in some cultures it is so normal there is a name for it.

Hope that helps.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi and welcome, we had the same with my DD, I remember calling the nurse 24 hour number for help and being told it was perfectly normal. Wasn't too reassuring to me at the time because I just wanted her to not be fussy every night! But it does pass by about 12 weeks.

We also found that DD managed the evening better if we dimmed the lights, turned off the TV and kept things calm.
DD born September 2013

yvettep

Post by yvettep » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes, I can absolutely agree on making things calm. From what I understand it's that their growing brains are struggling to process all the overwhelming stuff that has been happening to them all day, and they really need those longer sleeps which are going to happen later in the night. But in the meantime, you're still barraging their senses with talking, playing music, cooking (generating strong smells), maybe moving them past the bright square of a TV or laptop. I've found this effect has got stronger and stronger as our little one gets more aware of the world -- when he was a newborn he didn't care what was going on, he'd cry regardless, but now he's 11 weeks old, we can reduce the crying time to just a few minutes by recognising those post-sunset cranky signs, and taking him to a quieter, darker environment, and talking or singing to him very gently and quietly while rocking him a little. Sometimes he'll even have an evening nap so we can eat our dinner together instead of tag teaming (YESS!!!) Feeding him at shorter intervals in the evening seems also to encourage a longer feed interval (and therefore more consecutive sleep for YOU!) at night.