Still painful 2 weeks after tongue tie release

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
ClaireW1981

Still painful 2 weeks after tongue tie release

Post by ClaireW1981 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 am

My 6 week old baby had a severe tongue tie and upper lip tie released/snipped two weeks ago and I continue to experience intense nipple pain and Vaso-spasm after feeding. Despite getting help at the community centre breastfeeding drop-in service twice to get help with optimal positioning and techniques my baby continues to have problems opening his mouth wide enough and getting enough areola. He will often try to suck my nipple in like a piece of spaghetti and chomp or gum it.
I've been told to get him off and put him back on every time I feel pain when he latches, however I cannot get a latch that doesn't hurt. And as my baby needs to be fed this results in my nipples being pinched and coming out ridged and flat on one side. It's coming to the point now that where the pain is unbearable and it is affecting me psychologically. I think I'm starting to get depressed.
I am determined to exclusively breast feed and the thought of me giving him expressed milk in a bottle, even for just 24 hours as advised by the community nurses, is making me feel defeated. After the baby has cluster fed tonight the pain is just so intense that I'm going to have to use the bottle. I just feel so devastated and like a failure!

I know I should be grateful that I have a good supply and the baby's thriving but I just feel guilty.

Is giving the baby the bottle while he's trying to learn how to suck differently going to cause further problems, and is this how it's going to be forever, do some people never get better? Because people are saying after the release I should feel an improvement after a couple of weeks.

Is there hope that this will ever get better?

I'm just so upset that such a precious bonding experience with my baby is being dominated by pain and negative emotions. I just love my baby so much and want to give him the best.

Jenbt85

Re: Still painful 2 weeks after tongue tie release

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi ClaireW1981,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a really difficult start to breastfeeding and you have done really well to get to six weeks with all the obstacles you have faced so far.

You are not a failure. Breastfeeding isn't always easy.

I really empathise with that pain, I have just been through that with my 3 week old. I was getting to the point where I was dreading feeds as it was toe curling pain when she latched on. One thing that my LC picked up on that I was doing was that my daughter was opening her mouth but at the last minute, I was pulling away because I was anticipating the pain so the latch was shallow.

In terms of expressing and re-establishing direct feeding, I've done this with my son. I used a teat that was harder for him to get milk out of (happy to private message the brand if that helps) and he went between the bottle and breastfeeding fine. A call to the helpline 1800 868 268 might help you make an informed decision on using bottles. You can also offer milk in a sippy cup, syringe or on a spoon.

Are you able to go back to the drop in service?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi and welcome and big hugs! You are so brave to work so hard for six whole weeks!

I also had a very rough go of breastfeeding, and had to do several 'boob breaks' to let my nipples heal, expressing and using formula top ups when that wasn't enough. Sometimes I would alternate between boobs for one feed and bottles for the next to give them a break. I also used nipple shields quite a lot, have you tried them?. I was lucky that DD was happy to take any kind of milk from any source!

I recommend calling the helpline if you haven't yet, the trained counsellors there are great. is there a local ABA chapter near you? Sometimes going to a meeting can also help, even just for emotional support.
DD born September 2013

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:35 am

Hi and big hugs from me too. I have also been where you are with baby #2, who had an undiagnosed upper lip tie. The first 4 weeks of feeding were excruciating and I had to express and rest my nipples for 24 hours a few times. I did finger feeding with a tube as I didn't want to confuse DD with a bottle. Believe it or not, a couple of times in the depths of despair I even considered switching to formula... and this was my second time round, when I knew how awesome and easy it would be once things were sorted :oops:

She initially had trouble opening her mouth wide enough, and once we eventually got that sorted she would latch on with a wide mouth and then gag on my nipple before pulling back. Around the 4 week mark things magically improved, I think perhaps she just grew bigger and was able to cope better with feeding with the ULT.

I second going to a local group meeting for support. It might also be worth checking with the doctor that the ties have been properly cut? And keep asking for help from all sources until you work out what's going on.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

ClaireW1981

Post by ClaireW1981 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 am

Thank you ladies for your support and advice. I am really happy to report that things have improved after we saw an osteopath the LC recommended who did cranio-sacral therapy on him twice (looks like massaging certain points around the jaw and neck and inside the mouth). Bub improved a lot after the second session. I can actually see him move his tongue around a lot better and even poke it out a little. I did take him back to the tongue tie doctor and found he had 30% tie remaining (that was because 3 days after the procedure he became very ill with an unrelated infection and was in hospital for 3 days and too sick for me to do the exercises on). It was a sad moment to use the bottle but then I realised it was allowing me to keep breast feeding, so I look at it in a positive way now. He took it happily but I had to go back and get a new born teet as it was a bit fast for him. Now he is feeding better he sleeps a lot better and so do I as a result and I have actually at 9 weeks (believe it or not) become aware of the let down sensation (before I never felt it as the other pain was too intense). The doctor also thought I might have had some nipple thrush contributing to the pain and we've treated that, and in fact I found organic coconut oil to be more effective than the antifungal cream). Finally BF Bub is the pleasant experience I always dreamed it would be. It's still painful to some degree and some feeds are better than others but it's improved a LOT and I feel a lot better within myself now too.
Thank you for your helpxx

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 am

That's wonderful news! Well done for persisting through tough times :-D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am

What fantastic news! I'm really glad that things are much easier for you now. :D
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

yvettep

Post by yvettep » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi ClaireW1981,

I am in the same boat -- my LO's posterior tongue-tie was snipped at 6 weeks (one week ago now) and I haven't noticed any improvement. I had previously had to pump and bottle because of the awful cracking and intense pain, and now I've resorted to nipple shields. The doctor did not give us any stretching exercises to do -- please can you send me a link, video, or the contact details of your doctor so I can find out more? I also would love to know which osteopath you used -- again, I had no idea this was even an option! I'm in WA so maybe this won't help me but at least it will give me an idea of who to look for.

Thanks!

snowie

Post by snowie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello yvettep
I'm going to PM you a resource.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins