Nipple shape / attachment

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Nipple shape / attachment

Postby Jenbt85 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:49 am

We've had some attachment issues on day 1 and 2 that have left me with grazed nipples. By the end of day 2 and throughout day 3 (yesterday) the attachment has improved and I'm reattaching as necessary. My question is this... what shape should my nipples be? At the moment, there is initially a bit of pain from the graze when feeding (2-3 seconds) but then the feed is pain free. When I remove the nipple from her mouth or if she stops feeding, my nipple is flat on the ungrazed side (the inside of the nipple) and goes up like a triangle to the grazed side. Is that normal? Will it be more even as the damage reduces?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Re: Nipple shape / attachment

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Jen

I'm glad feeding is less painful and reattaching is helping - sounds like what you are doing is working.

After a feed your nipple should be soft and stretched out - the end of the nipple is drawn back in baby's mouth when bubs is attaching well.

Are you saying that one nipple is raised unevenly, or that one nipple is raising more than the other nipple?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Jenbt85 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi MW,

Parla described the nipple shape perfectly - it's like a new lipstick. Both nipples look like this after feeding and can stay that shape for a while.

The nipple damage is improving, but the initial few seconds of feeding are toe curling. I have engorgement at the moment, so will hand express a touch before feeding (thanks Parla for the link)! I'm so excited to be so full after having low supply last time.

If the latch is too shallow, will that reduce the effectiveness of draining the breast?

Also, she's super sleepy during the day and feeding off one side (occasionally both) for 10-20 minutes (per breast) roughly 2.5-3hourly. She wakes up around 11pm and cluster feeds all night. Last night I tried topping up with EBM but that didn't help. From memory this is normal (???), only DS used to do it at a more reasonable hour - I try resettling her between feeds, but it doesn't always work and she's actively hunting for milk.

I have opportunities to rest during the day and I figure the days and nights will reset themselves as she becomes more alert in the coming weeks, but is cluster feeding for 3-5hours normal?
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Postby Jenbt85 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:02 pm

I should add that output is great, lots of wet nappies and pooh. Also, stripping down to skin to skin / encouraging a larger feed (on both sides) during daylight hours hasn't been successful.

Funny how much you forget!!!
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Return to Early Days