Newbie 4 days in - grazed sore nipples

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding

Newbie 4 days in - grazed sore nipples

Postby JenBC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi. I'm a first time mum with 4 day old bubba. So far breastfeeding is going well, but I unknowingly made the mistake of letting him comfort feed a lot on our first night home, without proper attachment. My nipples are now grazed and sore and scabbed over, so each time he feeds he has to soften the scab then it dries over again. Wondering how I can get it to heal best and how to manage it? At the moment I just express a little milk & rub over the nipple, then leave to air dry. I have some "rite aid hydrogel breast discs" from a gift basket - should I use them? I have just started using a warm cloth to soften it before feed ... am I doing the right thing?! NB - We have a decent attachment now, but my breasts are small and nipples are flattish.
JenBC

Re: Newbie 4 days in - grazed sore nipples

Postby Jenbt85 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your newborn too :) I'm not a breastfeeding counsellor, but have been in your position with both my children. I found that expressed breast milk and air drying were what worked best for me. Good attachment is key to not getting grazed nipples again. I found it excruciatingly painful to feed until the scab healed (I think this may have taken up to a week) but never had problems again after that.

It's great that attachment issues have resolved for you both :)

The ABA helpline (1800 686 268) might have other tips for you too.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Re: Newbie 4 days in - grazed sore nipples

Postby grateful » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi - although an old post I thought this may help someone else with short/inverted nipples to continue breastfeeding.
This is just my experience ...
With my first baby I fed on cracked nipples for nearly 6 weeks before I was admitted to a lactation hospital (... many moons ago - I am now a grandmother) my right leg would shoot out with the pain when I fed but I was determined to breastfeed my child. I spent about 4-5 days in the lactation hospital - hand expressing my milk until my nipples had healed and having the staff checked my latching on - we were fine for a day and I was sent home only to have then crack again - I was devastated and rang the breastfeeding hotline - luckily I was able to speak to a breastfeeding mum who had the same problem - first she asked if my nipples were short? Yes! Then are they 'out' or inverted? Gosh inverted most of the time! I had never heard of short or inverted nipples, there was no mention of it at the birth hospital or the lactation hospital ( this was some 36yrs ago) - or at the many antenatal sessions I attended - my doctor never mentioned it either and I never had anyone assess my nipples for breastfeeding.
The ABA mum said she had the same problem and made sure she gently rolled out (between thumb and forefinger) her nipples before feeding - she also suggested a dummy for 'sucking' time. Wool fat was also recommended back then - it was thick and greasy but I didn't mind (now I believe they recommend what they call lanolin?) She also suggested that I keep gently massaging my nipples out until I had my let down before latching the baby on to avoid any unnecessary sucking time.
I felt it was a miracle and cannot thank this wonderful mother and organisation enough - I ended up feeding my daughter for 18 months and when my second daughter came I felt like a breastfeeding expert!
grateful

Return to Early Days