low supply one side

For general issues related to breastfeeding
Midnyteblu

low supply one side

Post by Midnyteblu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:06 pm

I have a cutiepie 6m old who has always been a single side feeder. we alternate sides and will often pump the other side to maintain a high supply. I had gastro last week but up until today i wasn't too worried about my supply. over the past 2 days i've been expressing at work and my left side has produced very little. i often feed from that side overnight as well as use that side for tandem feeding my older child so it should produce more than it is (in theory). this morning i fed my 6m old who was crazy fussy on that side (i had to switch) and then my 3 year old fed from that side and after a few minutes she pulled off and told me she was waiting for the milk, shes never said this before so it seemed odd but i went with it and a few minutes later she unlatched, now today at work i have only been able to express 5-10 ml from that side, the other side is producing perfectly - as much as it always does. i know pumping isnt as efficient as baby but it's still strange

im a bit concerned that my recent illness has impacted more than i thought and i'm not sure what i can do, i need that side to produce or else i wont get enough yield to support my daughter in daycare (shes not on solids yet) and im already feeding/pumping that side every 2-3 hours.

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: low supply one side

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 am

Hi there, how are things going now? Have you tried calling the helpline for some tailored advice?

You're doing the basics right by feeding and pumping frequently. There are some articles on the ABA website that might have some good tips. The low supply and expressing ones. Things like skin to skin, heat and massage before a feed to get the milk flowing, encouraging the let down in whatever way is best for you (relaxation techniques, music, etc). Good luck, I hope you see some improvement!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker