6 Week Old Feeding Duration

For general issues related to breastfeeding
Shanash21

6 Week Old Feeding Duration

Post by Shanash21 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi all,

I am in need of some reassurance and/or advice! My LO is 6 Weeks Old and has been quite unsettled from day dot, has had problems with wind since 2 weeks old and is given infants friend to help soothe this, so I am quite used to a crying baby who is hard to get to sleep and stay asleep (near impossible if he is not being held). He currently feeds off both breasts and will take at least 1 hour, occasionally almost 1 1/2 hours each feed... He seems to fall asleep quite easily and quickly whilst on the breast so I am continuously stroking his chin, tickling his feet and unlatching and reattaching if he has really become lazy. A clinic nurse I have spoken to has advised me to offer both breasts for 30mins (not letting him go over 40) and ensure he is actively sucking for that time and then unlatch him and try to settle him to sleep. I have then on the contrary read that I shouldn't be unlatching him and that I should let him finish on his own. I am concerned that even if he is 'comfort sucking' that this could decrease my supply and/or cut him off too early even if he is just grazing. Should I continue to let him feed for as long as he wants or try to 'shorten' the feeds on my terms? He will occasionally look like he is rooting again even after coming off himself after a feed also, should I offer him a dummie when this happens? Is he just wanting to comfort suck? As I can tell that I have more milk as when he does unlatch himself I can squeeze and it either drips or squirts out... Also one other question would he settle and fall asleep after crying with a dummie if he was still hungry? Hopefully I just have a very fussy baby and I'm just being a crazy over-thinking mum!

Please someone give me some advice! I am really passionate about breastfeeding and want to avoid supplementation! Thank you! :D

Jenbt85

Re: 6 Week Old Feeding Duration

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Shanash21! Congratulations on your baby and welcome to the forum!

All the conflicting advice you get can be so confusing, hey?! Your little one sounds just like my eldest was. He was a high needs baby - he needed to be on me constantly, was a horrendous sleeper and fed *all* the time. It was reassuring to know that some babies are just like that. It's still early days too and your bub might become more settled in time.

The free ABA helpline (1800 686 268) has qualified breastfeeding counsellors that can talk to you 24/7. They can provide tailored advice to you and are worth giving a call.

Sounds like you have been doing a great job :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu