Feeding one breast pumping the other - thrush

For general issues related to breastfeeding
Dcally

Feeding one breast pumping the other - thrush

Post by Dcally » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:07 pm

help!!! My boy is 2 weeks old. I struggled with nipple pain at beginning (sensitive nipples,he had good latch) so after about 4 days I was expressing aswell as feeding when my boobs were up to it. My right boob has always been more sore. Last week after feeding on it I got this excruciating pain afterwards that lasted about an hour. Itchy, knife, stabbing burning pain. I have discovered it's thrush and have been using daktarin gel for about 4 days. My son is showing no signs of it - neither is my other breast. I haven't been feeding him off it as I have been expressing. When expressing I don't get the pain as much. I am waiting for it to go away so I can feed off it again. Supply in that breast is low. About 30% of what I get in my left boob.
I am STRUGGLING with knowing whether I am feeding him enough!! I feed him off left boob and he looks content... doesnf search for more but have had trouble with him staying asleep for more than 1-2 hours. I top up with ebm when he need it as sometimes he still hungry and chews his hands. I also sometimes top up with formula as don't have enough ebm. I don't know if I'm feeding him enough??? And should I offer ebm at every feed?? He has terrible wind aswell. I want my boob to get better as feel like I am losing my milk.
What should I do at feeds?? How much do I give him? I just feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Nedsmum

Re: Feeding one breast pumping the other - thrush

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:00 am

I wonder if it helps to know that some mums breastfeed completely or mostly from just one breast ? One of my breasts was always more 'problematic' than the other one...by the time I got to my third child, I ended up feeding 3/4 of the time off the 'comfortable' breast and ignoring the other one.

Can I encourage you to give the breastfeeding helpline a call - you can get immediate answers to your questions and they can talk through with your options and also give some strategies that might help with the pain etc. For such a tiny baby (with a tiny stomach as big as a marble) it is very normal to breastfeed every 2-3 hours, or even more often.
The chewing hands might have nothing to do with hunger - basically newborn babies are born with a 'sucking reflex' and will suck anything that comes near their mouth - it may even be possible that your baby was one who sucked their hands in the womb (my brother did, he was born with a red mark on his hands that matched perfectly where he sucked it with his mouth..)... the terrible wind that you are describing could just be the digestive tract getting used to digestion (he's only 2 weeks old!) or it could be reacting to the formula, or possibly from over-feeding...there is a complex way of measuring top-ups for little babies, based on their weight and age and how often they feed... I am sure the helpline could give you that info as well... but it's really impossible to have one 'answer' - so please do give the helpline a call and they can talk you through the various things you are describing and make some suggestions that might help (it's OK to call more than once too !)....

The 'good news' is that even if you have really sore nipples at the start, it doesn't have to be like that forever - it can get better - my nipples were grazed every time with my three children, and it does get better...with the right support and strategies...and time...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Dcally

Post by Dcally » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you!! Yes you're right he is still only young. I have thought about feeding off one breast only. That's an option. I called the helpline but they weren't able to help. Just said to give it all time which I understand but the pain I'm in (it's now worse) is excruciating. I am waiting to see dr now to see if there's anything they can do for the breast and/or pain. I have been feeding just off the left breast since I posted my questions (no formula) and it has been great. So there's hope for me yet!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Hopefully the doctor can give you some medication that works fast - assuming it is thrush - thrush can be very painful!
The 'good news' is that once it's resolved then it is quite amazing how quickly it can get better.... did you get some general info from the helpline about the expressing and whether to 'top up' - personally I'd stick with the direct breastfeeding, as once you go down the path of bottles, expressing, sterilising etc, it's a whole lot more work! If the gel for thrush doesn't work within a day or two, I would go back to the doctor for something stronger - there is a 'one dose' product which you can take... usually the 'cause' of thrush that early after childbirth will be antibiotics given during/after the birth (eg. c-section etc)...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Shanaz

Post by Shanaz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:01 am

Hello,

I had the same problem as you I always think he isnt getting enough milk so I do top ups with formula here and there. But as long as he or she is having 6 very wet clear nappies and is gaining weight you should be fine and be confident that your feeding him or her well :).

Regarding thrush I have had bad breast and nipple pain for the last 3 weeks and im so over it doc thought it was mastitis so gave me antibiotics and didnt help at all the pain is so severe that I had to express milk to my baby just like you cause when I put him on the pain is so bad shooting and burning sensation made me cry each time. However I think I have thrush and my midwife thinks the same I am using nilsat oral drops but doesnt help with the pain and im so sick of seeing doctors because they haven't helped me so far with this pain:( what are you using for thrush?

Hope you recover from the pain too I feel you.