Supply Issues

For general issues related to breastfeeding
chiggins

Supply Issues

Post by chiggins » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:19 pm

I've been on antibiotics for a couple of days and my supply seems to have reduced significantly. DS is so fussy during and after feeds and I think he is still hungry. He gets frustrated at the breast because there is not much coming through. Let downs seem to be taking longer to happen too.
Help! I don't know what to do. I'm back to feeding every hour simply because he is demanding it.
TIA
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Re: Supply Issues

Post by AussieBritLu » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Have you tried expressing inbetween feeds?
How's his nappies?
Have you called the Helpline and talked to a breastfeeding counsellor?
Massaging your breast to help milk?

Are you eating and drinking enough?
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 am

AussieBritLu wrote:Have you tried expressing inbetween feeds?
How's his nappies?
Have you called the Helpline and talked to a breastfeeding counsellor?
Massaging your breast to help milk?

Are you eating and drinking enough?
There's not enough time between feeds to express
Nappies are less but still ok for now
Haven't called the helpline yet, thought I'd try here first
Yep, I massage them all the time

Drinking heaps and I couldn't possibly eat any more than I do!

Thanks for your reply, Lu! x
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Chiggins

Depending on why the ABs were prescribed, your supply may have dropped off a bit because you are unwell - with frequent feeds and your recovery things should bounce right back. At this stage lactation is well established. Worry (about being sick or about supply) can make it harder to let-down. Also possible that the ABs are upsetting his tummy a little bit.

Other possibility is that baby is fighting off whatever you have, or another unrelated illness, and feeding frequently to get those top-notch antibodies from you.

Or it is a wonder-week and entirely unrelated? Hmmmm

For any and all of those options the answer is exactly what you are already doing - feed when he asks and keep an eye on the nappies if you are worried. See your GP if you think bubs is unwell, but otherwise just try to get some rest yourself. Are you feeding lying down so you can snooze? Help with the big kids?

Hope you are feeling better really soon. MW xx
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks for your reply MW.
I'm on AB because I have Citrobacta Sepsis that won't go away! I had to have an emergency cesarean and because bubs and I had this horrible bacterial infection, it caused sinuses to form in my wound that have still not fully healed 12 weeks PP.
so my wound has flared up big time and now I've been put on these strong AB that give me the worst gut aches.
I guess it could be a wonder week... He is 7 weeks corrected age. I got my first smile about a week ago! :D

I managed to express half an hour ago and got 40ml (straight after a feed)... So I'm pleasantly surprised about that. He is still quite unsettled much of the time and will only sleep if in my arms. My mum is staying with me again, to help with my older two. His nappy output is still within normal so perhaps it is all ok and I'm stressing for nothing.

I get quite stressed too because when mum sees us struggling and DS fussing, she pipes up with something like "oh for goodness sake, just give him a bottle of formula" or "I bottle fed my babies and you all slept 4-6 hours between feeds. Nothing wrong with formula..." This puts doubt in my mind about my ability to breastfeed and makes me feel like an idiot for trying so hard to make it work.
I know there is nothing wrong with formula. I mix fed my other two babies from 6 months due to pregnancy wiping out my supply... I just wish she would shut up, keep her opinions to herself and just be a bit more supportive of what I want to do. Is that asking too much??

Anyway, rant over! I'm going to use my SNS to give my ebm at the next feed to see if that makes any difference. He is asleep now, through sheer exhaustion I think, but should wake soon as it's been almost an hour since his last feed.
If this continues tomorrow, I will give my LC (also our ABA group leader!) a call and chat with her.

Thanks for your help and advice, girls. Much appreciated! xx
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015