Help flanging out top lip

For general issues related to breastfeeding
Ck1984

Help flanging out top lip

Post by Ck1984 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi mummas,
I'm a first time poster :)
My 5 month old had her posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie revised 1 month ago.... Her suction has gotten stronger and she rarely slips off my nipple anymore..... Buttttt.... I'm still not able to get her to flange out her top lip. I believe this is still contributing to her getting wind in her belly.
Any tips to help her?
Thanks in advance :)

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Help flanging out top lip

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

So she's not flanging her top lip out on her own? What happens if you try to flange it out with your finger?

I have a 5 week old who had her posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie revised at a week old (and the TT was done again at 4 weeks as they didn't take enough off the first time), and I still often have to flange it out using my finger. My IBCLC recommended some exercises to do, one of which is massaging the top lip to help loosen things up. She also recommended some body work to release tension. Perhaps those are some things to consider if you are not doing them already?

I'm also finding that I have to be really vigilant with her latch at the moment, trying to get her to open really wide and take a large mouthful of breast is still a bit challenging. When her attachment isn't optimal (like during the night feeds) she tends to take in more air.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Ck1984

Post by Ck1984 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Thank you! I agree, when my babes latch isn't great, she is definetly more windy afterwards.
I'll try massaging her top lip..l.we have been seeing an osteo who has been amazing, and there is such a difference with my little one.... She no longer screams in the car every time.
This is going to sound silly, but how do you flange out her lip?

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I get the tip of my finger and gently push it in under her top lip and then lift the lip upwards so that it flanges out. Does that make sense? It's a bit hard to explain.

Glad the osteo has made a difference!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi CK

Some mums find it helps to just run a clean finger between the top lip and the breast, pressing a little bit into the breast - the lip should flange out.

Any chance you could have the lip tie checked again? Might need to be snipped a little more if the lip won't flange?

Some mums find it helps with wind to keep bubs upright after feeds (a sling can help), gentle tummy massage, bicycling the legs, holding her on her tummy with your hand/forearm putting pressure along her tummy - you are probably already doing some of those things but thought they might help.

Also, call the helpline!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

snowie

Post by snowie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:41 pm

We were shown how to do facial muscle releasing exercises by an IBCLC after DD2s lip tie was released. I found them helpful, her upper lip never properly flanges, but it's much better than before the release.
Never forgetting our angel babies

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 pm

My middle child had this same problem. I used to use my thumb, just as he latched on, to flick out the top lip.
It's hard to explain without showing you but...using your thumb and index finger, squeeze your breast near the nipple to get Bub to latch well, ensuring you get your thumb in bubs mouth ever so slightly too. Then just as you are about to remove your fingers, flick the top lip out.
It all needs to happen fairly quickly as he latches but it's what I did and it worked well. Good luck! :-D
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 am

I wonder how common this technique is ? I definitely used it with my three kids... something you just 'pick up' from being around breastfeeding mums ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Nedsmum wrote:I wonder how common this technique is ? I definitely used it with my three kids... something you just 'pick up' from being around breastfeeding mums ?
Haha...probably! I learnt this technique from a friend who is a lactation consultant. :wink:
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)