Not sure if I've got anything left

For general issues related to breastfeeding
nbrangan

Not sure if I've got anything left

Post by nbrangan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

Hi there,

I need some help! My baby (3 weeks old tomorrow) has got a good latch and feeding well overnight 2nd hourly. She has both boobs, then a change and then will go back to sleep at 10pm, 2am,4am & 7am approximately the times in between getting shorter until the morning when she wakes approx. 8.30. In the morning however (after 8.30) she seems to want to boob all the time. It's 10.30 now and she has screamed her head off for the boob since 8.30, even though she has been on both continuously, and burped and had nappy changes. When on the boob, the first 2 boobs she seems to have a good feed and I feel the milk come down at every latch, but after the big feed, she seems to only have a little and pop herself off. I know that sometimes the feeding signs (restlessness, wriggling) can be tired signs and I have tried to settler her into bed(no luck. This happens every morning until around lunchtime. What am I doing wrong?

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Not sure if I've got anything left

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Newborn feedings can be all over the place, sometimes it's hard to work out what's going on and just when you think you've got it figured out things change again! Cluster feeding is normal in newborns, commonly in the evening but it's not unheard of for babies to cluster feed at other times of the day. You are most definitely not doing anything wrong.

You mention tiredness could be a factor... I have a 5 week old and am finding this is definitely the case! After waking in the morning she has a big feed and is only happy to be awake for about an hour in total. She gives me hunger signs so I put her on the boob again and she'll fall straight to sleep but often won't transfer to a bed or pram so I use a baby carrier. Is that an option for you? I even feed her to sleep in the carrier sometimes if she's being fussy. If she doesn't get a good nap she will quickly get overtired and is very hard to settle.

At other times of the day I will sometimes lay down with bub and feed her to sleep (and have a nap myself!), so that could be an option to consider as well.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker