Toddler with Hand foot and mouth disease

For general issues related to breastfeeding
snowie

Toddler with Hand foot and mouth disease

Post by snowie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am

So my 22 month old toddler, who feeds about 5 - 6 times a day (including a couple of times over night, and anytime I might choose to sit down at the computer) has caught hand foot and mouth disease.
She's been unwell for a few days now. I had to express this morning because my breasts were painfully sore and engorged. She's asked for a "mama" a couple of times today but just puts her lips up to the nipple for a few minutes and then says finished. Clearly I still have milk - I'm hoping to get to 2yo and beyond with breastfeeding (if that's her choice). This morning I tried a number of tricks to get her to take a small amount of expressed milk and ended up with a newborn nipple on a small bottle, which she chewed on and squirted into her mouth after I showed her she could do that. (Recording this for future reference)

What are your experiences, if any, with hand foot and mouth disease? Did your toddler wean while they were sick.
Never forgetting our angel babies

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Toddler with Hand foot and mouth disease

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:36 am

Oobiwoo had it a bit younger and went on a feed strike and also a food strike. I think he was about 14 or 16 months old. It is the only time I have bought novelty kids yoghurt and baby food because I was desperate to get something into him. He rejected the baby food (can't blame him) but the yoghurt was a hit - only needed it for a couple of days. If there is a squishy food that would be a real treat maybe worth a try? Or maybe mixing the EBM with something he will eat, or the trusty EBM iceblock are worth a go.

Oobiwoo most certainly did not wean!! I also (probably) caught the HFM and I was really unwell (also pregnant - fun) I think I slept for about four days straight and was off work for two weeks. I didn't get the blisters but my Ob thought it was probably just an odd presentation. So keep an eye on your own health - plenty of rest when you can, eat well. That will also help you stave off any problems related to the sudden change in feeding.

Sitting at the computer was also a cue to feed in our house Made me :) to remember that even though it was annoying at the time.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

snowie

Post by snowie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks for your reply, I've resorted to cold foods, custard, ice cream, frozen watery cordial ice blocks and yes mummy milk ice blocks. She's accepted everything but the mummy milk ice blocks. :roll:
And thanks for the reminder to look after myself. I've been trying to get rest as much as possible - I had shingles just on 12 months ago and have already had a flare up 3 months ago, not really wanting to go down that pathway again with either a flare up or a dose of HFM.

Yes the good old computer feed - DD2 finishes one side and asks for the other. Instead of just waiting for me to get the other side out, she walks around behind me and taps my leg. Essentially she ends up in the same position, standing for a feed, but off the other breast. Hilariously annoying. I should try to get it on video.
Last edited by snowie on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:57 am

When DS had it he didn't feed as much....I guess because it was sore? I still fed him past 2 ;-) good luck and hope she is feeling better asap
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Yep, DD was off her food when she had it too. I think she was under 12 months at the time. She fed for 4yrs and 3 months :-)

I think it really hurts their mouths/throats which makes feeding hard. I hope she feels better soon.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:41 pm

A friend of mine had an older baby with HFM. He was around 10 months I think? He refused the breast completely and unfortunately never went back. She tried every trick in the book and was devastated as she had hoped to feed into toddlerhood like she did with her first baby :( hopefully that won't happen to you! I think at 22 months you probably have a better chance of continuing as you'll be able to talk to your toddler about it?
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

snowie

Post by snowie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 am

Well it seems she must be feeling much better. My !!@!booby were not sore this morning, she's fed overnight! Hooray.
Thanks for all your feedback. I think she understood that her mouth was sore that was the issue rather than breastfeeding being the issue, if you know what I mean.