5 month old fussing during breastfeeding

For general issues related to breastfeeding
KyTherese

5 month old fussing during breastfeeding

Post by KyTherese » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 pm

My (only just) 5 month old has started to fuss during feedings. He will latch on for a max of 5 minutes (let down usually occurs in the first minute) then he will begin to move around, come off, look around, go back on for 2 secs, come off, go back on, come off, cry and squirm. I will burp him at this time, sometimes he burps other times he won't. I offer him the other side and the process repeats. After he has done this on both breasts he will refuse to go back on. Sometime I still feel half full. He is generally happy and is still urinating frequently. His bowel movements have increased. Use to go a few days without a BM now he can do 2 in one day. Have recently started him on minimal solids (farax) as I thought he may be wanting more than just my milk. I will offer the farax in the morning an hour after his BF, he does not take much as he is still getting use to it. He has cut his two bottom teeth (about 3 weeks ago) so teething could be the issue? I am feeling very frustrated and deflated. Tonight my partner gave him a bottle of formula as I was not able to be home (he has taken formula on 2 separate occasions before) he drank the whole 240mls, my partner stopped a few times to burp him. Put him down to sleep, he slept for a few hours then woke up vomitting. Once he was settled, I offered him his dream feed, only fed for 5 min before deciding he didn't need anymore which I thought was understandable.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am worried he is not getting enough.

Yankee

Re: 5 month old fussing during breastfeeding

Post by Yankee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi and welcome! The breastfeeding hotline is a great resource, the ladies there are wonderful. In the meantime though, a few thoughts ... Little ones get more efficient at feeding as they get older, there is every chance that your Bub only needs 5 minutes to fill up. Teeth could also be the issue, it can change how Bub has to negotiate the latch. But if you're still getting lots of heavy wet nappies, your baby is probably getting enough to eat (what goes in must come out). And keep in mind that baby cereals have LESS calories per ml than breastmilk, so it isn't necessarily going to make Bub feel more full.

Breastfed babies can sometimes look like they're gorging on a bottle, as the milk comes out faster than they're used to, which can indeed result in vomiting if they end up gulping down more than they're used to.

Hang in there!
DD born September 2013

Esther

Re: 5 month old fussing during breastfeeding

Post by Esther » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi and welcome,

Sounds a very stressful time. I was also wondering about a developmental phase that occurs around now. We call it the 4 month monsters. Babies are dreadfully distracted, sleep can go to poo, they never seem to feed enough. Sent me batty every.single.time. Even when I thought I knew what to expect!

There's a sticky on this delightful stage here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it....

The helpline is also a fantastic resource. Open 24/7, all through the holidays :-)

Good luck!

ETA. Found link. If it doesn't work, you'll find it towards the top if the Parenting in General section ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54877
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4