Nipple flicking

For general issues related to breastfeeding

Nipple flicking

Postby DesperateMum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm a first time mum to a 4 week old baby girl. We have had issues from the beginning as a result of a small tongue tie. We had to express and bottle feed for 4 days because my nipples were so mangled and bruised while we waited for her appointment to fix her tongue tie. After the appointment things have gotten better but we still struggle to maintain a deep latch, she seems to latch well then slips to the base of the nipple. I've tried the U hold and maintains firm (but gentle) pressure on her back as well as reclining to help her but she still slips. It's also a real challenge to get her to open wide. But mostly what is causing my heart ach and MASS discomfort is her repetitive flicking of my left nipple (she doesn't do it to the right) it's the most awful sensation and it's starting to chafe. I just don't know what to do!! I try relatxhing and she gets so mad and then just screams and cries on the breast! It breaks my heart!
DesperateMum

Re: Nipple flicking

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am

Hi there! Sorry no one has gotten back to you yet. How are things going now? It's awful when you're feeding in pain, I have been there! My 3rd baby needed her TT released twice plus she needed some bodywork done (chiro and osteo). Was your daughter assessed by an IBCLC prior to the treatment? It might be an idea to get her checked again as it sounds like things aren't right. Let us know how you go.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Nipple flicking

Postby DesperateMum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

Oh my goodness! It's the worst! No she hasn't been assessed by an IBLC... I think it might be worth it. Although things have gotten 100% better in the last week or so, she still flicks the nipple but her latch looks really good so I don't get it. Maybe it's just her thing... But I've stopped dreading feeding her so that's a plus. Thank you for replying, it's just nice to not feel alone.
DesperateMum

Return to General Issues