*medication* when breastfeeding?

For general issues related to breastfeeding

*medication* when breastfeeding?

Postby Viktoria22 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I had my first son 12 days ago and I am struggling with depression. I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I'm already on an extremely low dose of *medication*- 2.5mg every 2 days - and I'm wondering if it is safe to increase this dose to first 2.5mg per day, and then 5mg per day? When I was first diagnosed I was on 10mg, and I will never go back to that dose, but my GP told me *medication* is considered safe in breastfeeding (she also said that the dose I'm on now is probably more of a placebo effect as it's too low to actually do anything); however, I would feel a lot better if I knew that other people had also been on fairly low doses and not experienced any ill effects on their babies.
Viktoria22

Re: *medication* when breastfeeding?

Postby Gwen's Mum » Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Viktoria22, and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're doing a great job balancing your baby's needs with your own health needs. It's not an easy juggling act some days! :)

Unfortunately ABA counsellors (and the lovely women on this forum) aren't able to give specific medical advice - discussing your circumstances with a trusted health advisor is your best option. However, as a general comment, there are many, many medications that are considered safe to use while breastfeeding, and others that can be taken in ways that reduce any impacts on bub. Lots of mums here have taken medication as part of mental health treatment plans, as well, under the advice of their trusted health professionals.

If you have specific concerns that you don't feel are well-addressed in consultation with your GP, there are a few avenues for obtaining additional information/clarification, including:
- NPS Medicines Line - 1300 633 424
- for more complex questions, Rodney Whyte at Monash Medical Centre's Medicines Information Centre is a bit of a guru: 03 9594 2361

Other good state-specific information helplines can be found listed here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... edications

Hope that helps a little! :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Re: *medication* when breastfeeding?

Postby Esther » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 am

I second calling Rodney Whyte. He and his team are lovely and easy to talk to on the phone. Rodney's knowledge about medications and breastfeeding is amazing.

Congrats on your baby. Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Return to General Issues