Moderating and transparency

Area for moderators and administrative team to discuss a possible electronic ethics guidelines. This discussion is discussion only and does not indicate Board endorsement of any further guidelines

Moderator: monkeyboyzmum

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Moderating and transparency

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sun May 29, 2011 8:39 pm

In light of recent events, I would like to suggest that whenever we moderate or move a post or thread that we undertake to make a statement like this.
Dear >username<
Your post in the >threadname< thread has been removed [or edited] because >quote< is in violation of the guidelines or CoE, which state >quote<.
This would improve transparency of our decisions, encourage us to be really clear in our own minds about our moderating decisions and protect us from any accusations that we are singling someone out for moderation.

cheers
n
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Capricious
Trainee

Post by Capricious » Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 pm

I think it's a great idea and a very clear statement. I know that in my experiences in the last couple of days it would really have helped me to be focused on the WHAT and WHY of moderating.

Would we add the statement to the thread or send it via PM?

Putting it in the thread would make it very clear what is and isn't acceptable, but doing it by PM might be more discreet. :?

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sun May 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Could go either way. Putting it in the thread might be a bit humiliating. Maybe first line a PM but if it's repeated, put it in the thread.
n
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Tue May 31, 2011 10:09 am

I have been trying to do something like that when I moderate, but don't always have time to go hunting for the CofE, which is stored somewhere on my computer, but goodness only knows where. Could we then have the Code actually listed in here as a thread, so that we can copy and paste as needed? That would mean I would be more likely to moderate instead of pretend I didn't see it and wait for someone else to do it.

And can I ask a question - are we supposed to be PMing the OP every time we move a thread?
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

nobunnies
Site Admin

Post by nobunnies » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me, although quotes on their own may not indicate why a post or thread is being moderated. Sometimes context is required, iykwim?

My only caveat is that if we moderate a thread, especially a heated thread,
will we PM every user in the thread with our reasoning? If not, how do we decide who we do PM, and who we don't?
Jen

Mum to Miss Froggie (March '07) and Mr B (June '09)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Bailey's Mum wrote: That would mean I would be more likely to moderate instead of pretend I didn't see it and wait for someone else to do it.
If you are stuck for time or not sure what to do, how about posting a link to the group e-mail? I've done that when I find something just as its time to leave.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue May 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Bailey's Mum wrote:I have been trying to do something like that when I moderate, but don't always have time to go hunting for the CofE, which is stored somewhere on my computer, but goodness only knows where. Could we then have the Code actually listed in here as a thread, so that we can copy and paste as needed? That would mean I would be more likely to moderate instead of pretend I didn't see it and wait for someone else to do it.

And can I ask a question - are we supposed to be PMing the OP every time we move a thread?
I usually refer to the CofE on the main association's website. I'm assuming the CofE is the same as the terms of use for the forum :oops:

BUt it would be very helpful for new mods to have a template.

I'd add to the template a reminder to the mod to say something nice in the email as well - so the poster doesn't feel like they have been bitchslapped. Unless they are repeat offenders.

CHeers
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Tue May 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Maybe put hte CoE in the guidelines thread. So we have Forum Guidelines and then as a reply, CoE.

Also with the transparancy thing, can we continue posting in the thread when we remove brand names etc, rather than PMing as it is a simple thing and reminds everyone?

When a whole thread is getting heated and being edited, I feel we need to post in the thread for everyone to read so that everyone knows something is being done, although not the exact details. Don't know what we would say though. Maybe when we move a heated thread we should post in the Messages to Moderators about it so that everyone can see that something has been done without having to get the exact message. This is because lots more people read threads than post in them, so we could never PM everyone who has read the thread, even if we PMed everyone who wrote in it.

Jenny