ok to donate? or wait?

For information and resources about donor breast milk.
Post Reply
Fellare1
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Post by Fellare1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

yay I can post!

katw, sorry to take up first spot in your topic.

When I had issues like yours when donating, I'd ask the mum. It's her risk after all. If I felt ok donating, which I would with a cold, I gave her the chance to say no.
when I did not feel comfortable donating, when taking meds, I did not give her that option.

case of everybody has to be happy, I guess.

Pseudo2
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Post by Pseudo2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Fellare your post has gone above katw's in her thread lol.

User avatar
mooki2
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Post by mooki2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 am

what did you end up doing (not that you can answer until the 20th March...)
*temporary account until the forum gremlins let me back in*

katw1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by katw1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, I told her, and she took the milk, and all my fingers are crossed that the antibodies outweigh the virus, DS ended up with croup. I marked the suspect bags with a star, so she can keep them as last resort or use them when bub is older if possible. Maybe the virus will be at least partly damaged by freezing, lessening the dose a bit, too. Not that I didn't take every precaution I could for making clean milk, just that I think respiratory viruses get around rather too easily.

katw
Posts: 3155
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Follow the noise....

ok to donate? or wait?

Post by katw » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I've donated a quantity of EBM before, and the mum just contacted me saying she's nearly run out, do I have more? I said yeah, sure, but let me pump for a week and give it to you in bulk because she lives a fair distance away. Her bub is/was FTT and is still very small, maybe 4-5 months old now.

Today, DS has a cold. :( I know my milk is ok for him, but I'm wondering if I should not donate milk from while he's sick...mainly because her bub is much more vulnerable than mine, our cold might be her bronchiolitis...I know I'll have some antibodies in my milk, but I'm worried about passing on viral particles with it.

I know you can't give specific advice here, I'm looking for a "from what we know" or "based on xyz" would you offer the milk? Of course, IF I offer it, I'll tell her we're sick and let her decide. But I'm tending towards saying "sorry, not right now, I'll give you more when he's better". Or should it be her decision?

Pls help me out here, I can't think my way through this on 2 hours sleep!
katw - mum to 3 girls Superhero 2002, Fairy 2006, Goldeneyes 2009 and one boy - Lennylion 2012

Post Reply