I was gonna donate but then...

For information and resources about donor breast milk.
Skeeta

I was gonna donate but then...

Post by Skeeta » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:15 pm

...I found out I've left it too late. :cry: (Silly, clueless me.) :shock:
My son is 6 months and although I don't have milk stored, I'm oversupplied very easily and figured I might as well share the love. I contacted Mothers Milk Bank with my basic stats and enquiry and this was the reply:

Hi ___,
Thank you so much for your enquiry to the Mothers’ Milk Bank regarding the donation of your breastmilk.

To respond to your enquiry, the Mothers’ Milk Bank will only except the breastmilk of a donor mother of an infant up to 6 months of age. The breastmilk produced at this time, is different to that of the mother of a child older than 6 months, and is thus more ideal for the newborns, premature or sick infants that the pasteurised donor milk is distributed to. Additionally, the Milk Bank can only accept milk that has been stored in sterile containers, in a deep freeze, for up to 3 months. Milk stored for a longer period is also not acceptable.

Being based in northern NSW, the Mothers’ Milk Bank is - at this stage - only able to collect milk from our immediate and surrounding areas (including Brisbane). This applies to both stored milk and the ongoing donations of breastmilk from our donor mothers.

We ask that, even if you are ineligible to donate at this time, that you still fill out and return our Registration Form. This will allow us to continue our advocacy work and to document the expressed interest and support for a network of Milk Banks throughout Australia. Upon receipt of your forms, if you are eligible to donate, you will be contacted by a Mothers’ Milk Bank Consultant.

We thank you again for your support, your dedication in breastfeeding your own child and your willingness to provide for other infants and children in need. We hope you will continue to support our endeavours and stay updated with the developments of the Mothers’ Milk Bank.

Sincerest thanks,
Carrie
-----------------------------
Bugger...** edit, I had the idea in the back of my mind when bub was about 4 months but didn't look into it cos I was focussing on his needs (as ya do!) but I could have easily done it. I wish I had!

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 pm

You could donate through human milk for human babies.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Is there much demand for 6+ month milk I wonder? I'll put it out there!

Nina-May

Post by Nina-May » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

What a shame but I like the last paragraph of the letterv :wink:

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm sure there will be many mums who would love your donor milk as a mother to mother direct donation - check our Human Milk 4 Human Babies.

Good on you for donating!

I contacted the milk bank when DD was a newborn too, but they said they had too many donors for their financial resources and I was on waiting list, I never heard back. I didn't really know about peer donating then, wish I had though :(
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

keyfive
Counsellor

Post by keyfive » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, my DS2 is now 15 months and I've been providing regular donations for a little girl for about 9 months (I think!) now. I express about 200mls a week to donate. There are lots of other people donating with me as well. This little girl has been feed exclusively on donor milk since her birth - it's pretty amazing really. Are you interested in ongoing donations or just the one off? I can check with my milk tree if there's any need for donor milk if you like? The only thing is that you would need blood tests done (the family have requested this) Otherwise, I'm sure there are plenty of other mums who would happily take 6month+ EBM off your hands!

ETA: oops, I just realised you're not in Melbourne which is where the baby I donating for is!
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)

bubly

Post by bubly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I would be very surprised if you didn't find someone that wanted your milk Skeeta. Definitely check out human milk 4 human babies, you'll make a lucky mum and bub very happy :-)

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Skeeta,

Really great that you're looking at donating. :-D

Any chance you're in Brisbane? A friend of one of the ladies at my ABA group was looking for donor milk recently, and her bub is over 6 months old.

Cat

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm in Tassie.

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:12 pm

There are a few older bubs also looking for donor milk and some mums who don't mind that the other bub is older, as it is still better than formula, the other option (or in case of my recipient, home made formula)

I found mine through social media pages. It took a few mums to find one who was right for me.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Feather

Post by Feather » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Yes check out your local HM4HB fb page. We used donor milk for a long time. I didn't care what age the donor mother's baby was, it was all better than formula.

There are lots of avenues opening up for milk donation. I hope you can find something that works for you and your family :D
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 am

^^^Yes to all of the above!!

Check our HM4HB - there are lots of mums (like I was!) looking for milk, and as Feather said, many don't worry about the age of the donor's baby.

:)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13