how to source donor EBM

For information and resources about donor breast milk.
Dolly

how to source donor EBM

Post by Dolly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

I have been playing osterage about O's situation ATM but I need to pull my head out and do something before it gets critical.

So I want to start lining up some donor EBM but have no idea where to start. I know there are some lovely ladies on here that have experience in this area.

We are in Adelaide so no EBM banks here and I don't know if we would qualify anyway. My supply has almost halved after mastitis recently and I have been relying on freezer stock. I reckon I have about 1 week left of frozen EBM. I would be OK with her taking ABM but she refuses it, she also eats very little, so she is not recommended to just have cows milk.

I am trying everything to increase my supply again (medication, extra pumping and trying to rest as much as possible with 3 children) so far there has not been any increase. DH and my Mum say 'If she gets hungry enough she will drink the ABM'. I don't want to go down that path and I am not convinced that she will drink it no matter how hungry she gets. I would prefer if she just took the ABM as I am not 100% comfortable with the idea of donor EBM but she will not.
:smt100
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello Dolly,

Unfortunately as you know the forum cannot be used at this time for donating breastmilk. You are correct that there are mums here who know about it and I hope you will get some pms about their experiences :D .

Good luck. I hope you are able to work something out.

Esther
Last edited by Esther on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Feather

Post by Feather » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I will pm you :D
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

MummySez

Post by MummySez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:47 am

Best of luck finding donors for your Darling O. Do you go to your local group meetings? Maybe some women there know people who know people with excess milk?
You could try putting a Help Wanted sign at the health nurse/centre/doctors offices/maternity ward????
People advertise for egg donors and surrogates, I don't see why they wouldn't let you ask if anyone has any spare breastmilk :-)
Sarah

"Kingdoms are clay; our dungy earth alike
Feeds beast as man. . . ."

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 am

There is a website that helps milk donors and those who need milk to connect with one another. It's called Eats on Feets- if you do a web search, you'll find it.
Karleen

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:59 pm

thank you every one.
I have never joined face book because I can see it being a time black hole for me. Looks like I may have to join now.

I have been really upset at the idea of using donor milk and I am not really sure why. I think if I had used it when she was a baby I would feel fine but to be going down that road at 15 months just seems like such a failure. :cry:

My milk seems to be slowly creeping back up so I am still hopeful that we will make it through.
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

Feather

Post by Feather » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Should mention that we can't name the fb milk sharing page here...mods will probably have to edit that.

Great suggestions above. Totally forgot to mention that two of my donors are from my local ABA group :D I hope I can mention that

You're anything but a failure, please don't feel that way. You're trying to provide your baby with the best there is available. Fortunately these days, donated EBM is becoming more available which is great! Like you said, hopefully you can get through this and only need to use a small donation. Hugs.
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey if we can't mention another breastfeeding advocacy organisation then there's a BIG problem....mods would have to go around deleting every reference to the World Health Org, UNICEF, IFE Core Group, IBFAN, Baby Milk Action etc. As I said, that would be a big problem.
Karleen

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 am

MummySez wrote:Do you go to your local group meetings? Maybe some women there know people who know people with excess milk?
That would be a great source but we don't go. I went once during the holidays. My local group is on Thursday mornings which is a therapy day. In fact very few days are not therapy days (some Monday mornings and some afternoons only). My life is full of therapy. That my be one of the reason I am hesitant to go down this path, I need one part of raising O to be easy. Wow this has turned into a whinge. Oh they do have some night meetings but my nights are also taken up with O, not even L or A get much of my time in the evenings.

Yesterday my milk was up a bit more. My rights is back to normal production. My left (my main producer and the mastitis culprit) is still lagging but getting better. :D
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

Feather

Post by Feather » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 am

Dolly wrote:Yesterday my milk was up a bit more. My rights is back to normal production. My left (my main producer and the mastitis culprit) is still lagging but getting better. :D
That's great!!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Feather

Post by Feather » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 am

Karleen wrote:Hey if we can't mention another breastfeeding advocacy organisation then there's a BIG problem....mods would have to go around deleting every reference to the World Health Org, UNICEF, IFE Core Group, IBFAN, Baby Milk Action etc. As I said, that would be a big problem.
Karleen
I agree Karleen. Unfortunately because it's a milk sharing page it's not allowed. I do think that there needs to be some debate over this...any mods want to jump in? I think there was discussion among you not long ago...
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 am

I understand that the issue is that it's a donor milk organisation, and ABA doesn't yet have a clear policy about using the forum to talk about donor milk. Some see it as mentioning another resource, such as Karleen has mentioned, some see it as advertising. It's not a clear issue yet.

I understand it's before the ABA board at the moment.

HTH

Esther
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Feather

Post by Feather » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks Esther
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

MummySez

Post by MummySez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:04 pm

How's it all going Dolly?
Did you manage to increase your supply enough, or find expressed milk from someone?
Sarah

"Kingdoms are clay; our dungy earth alike
Feeds beast as man. . . ."

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Dolly
Have a conversation with Feather about using donor milk. She is very experienced, and I am sure she'll be able to help you with the storage, handling and transport issues.
cheers
n
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13