ABA press release on emergencies

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.
Karleen

ABA press release on emergencies

Post by Karleen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 am

ABA has just issued a press release containing practical information on feeding babies in emergencies (breastfed, mixed fed, breastmilk fed and formula fed).
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/sites/ ... 0Final.pdf

If you hear from mothers or health workers about infant feeding in emergency experiences please do send them my way. It's very useful to hear about what people have experienced, what helped and what didn't.
Karleen

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Karleen.

Discovering a whole new world this week of keeping up with expressing with power outages and possible water shut offs later today.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 pm

How are you managing Esther?
Karleen

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

OK so far thanks Karleen, but it has made me realise how precarious modern existance actually is. We have power and water. We have tanks now, so could access water, once boiled, for cleaning? Probably not at all ideal... Although I think if the water is shut off here, the council will be falling over itself to make sure everyone has adequate drinking water. I'd make sure I got extra for pump cleaning. Or tell work to go away for a few days and keep DD2 at home with me. Lots of options when you are able to pick and choose your solutions a bit. Much more difficult when you don't have that luxury, I expect.

Grateful to have a pump that also runs off ordinary batteries or car power. Also grateful to live in an area that only lost power for 30 hours, as I know some people had a much worse time of it ( :smt006 AbbeyCat)
Esther
Storked by nat*4

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm

:smt006 Esther

Hope you, your kids and your partner have not gone too stir crazy.

This week has reminded me just how reliant on power we all are. Am very grateful we can 100% feed from the breast atm, so none of your keeping up pumping problems (30 hours is still a very long time without power!), which I am super grateful for. We've lost fresh groceries, but our place is always high and dry, so we are doing well.

Re the water, my dad has a great idea of filling some 2L bottles (plastic milk bottles are he does) and stashing them in the corner of the garage in case of water probs. Think I'll be doing that just in case we have probs in the future. Being a townhouse we don't have access to a tank. Would still have to boil it on the BBQ to drink it, but would keep us going.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:30 pm

AbbeyCat wrote::smt006 Esther

Hope you, your kids and your partner have not gone too stir crazy.

This week has reminded me just how reliant on power we all are. Am very grateful we can 100% feed from the breast atm, so none of your keeping up pumping problems (30 hours is still a very long time without power!), which I am super grateful for. We've lost fresh groceries, but our place is always high and dry, so we are doing well.

Re the water, my dad has a great idea of filling some 2L bottles (plastic milk bottles are he does) and stashing them in the corner of the garage in case of water probs. Think I'll be doing that just in case we have probs in the future. Being a townhouse we don't have access to a tank. Would still have to boil it on the BBQ to drink it, but would keep us going.
Hi Abbeycat

I read about this on a preparedness blog a while back - I think she recommended adding a tiny bit of bleach to the water to stop things breeding in it - I'll try to find it but maybe a bit of googling will get you some guidance.

Hope you are back in the 21st century soon!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Should have remembered this article from the kellymom site about keeping breastmilk frozen/chilled with no power #-o

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milk ... er-outage/
Esther
Storked by nat*4