Mini tornado

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.
Ari's Mum

Mini tornado

Post by Ari's Mum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:48 am

Well we all woke this am to the sound of gusting wind and torential rain. It blew our trampolene across the yard and our casement Windows open letting water in. We watched with awe when the exploding electrical transformers blew and lit up the night sky. What a surprise. Nobody saw it coming. we wandered around

We are still out of power and so are a number of suburbs. Luckily my daycare mum has power and the kids still had daycare and I can go to work today... running out of batteries will update when we have power and phone is charged[/u]
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Storked Norrie and proudly storked by Terramommy...

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 am

Oh I was hearing on the ABC this morning that it was going to get a bit wild up there.

Thinking of you - hope that power is back soon and that you are all okay xxx
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!

JMc

Post by JMc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am

Hope things settle down quickly and that things are back to normal soon.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:46 am

Hi we are fine, got the power back on yesterday at about 4:30.. My daycare mum's daughter got a phone call from a single mother who was worried about how she was going to heat up a bottle for her baby as she had the power out.

She ended up giving it cold :( I said oh that is scarey, my daycare mum's daughter wasn't aware of the risks of giving a baby cold formula with just cooled boiled water. I explained it could get gastro and she needs a gas heater thingy that you can get cheap from the hardware store with the big hammer...

I don't think people are aware of the risks of formula feeding in an emergency and what you actually need to be prepared. Obviously the message isn't getting out there.

There are some suburbs still without power and some people may not get it back on for weeks :( They are also saying to take precautions with the water...
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:22 am

Oh I'm definitely thinking and praying for your area AM - Triple J had stuff on the news this morning about how crazy it got up there.

There is an article on here that was developed through QLD Health for the floods last year. It's all about feeding infants during/through a natural disaster.

I'll see if I can find it, then link it for you. It might be of help to some mums in the area... :)

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 am

Ok I found it on the QLD Health site.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/healthieryou/disaster/

On there are a heap of documents about preparedness, particularly when it comes to food and drink.

About halfway down you'll find the articles on safe infant feeding practices during an emergency. I know that the ones about ABM were developed under guidance of a regular member here, so hopefully she will come and share some useful info soon.

I hope this helps!

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks Slayer.. I have read the fact sheet on preparing formula in an emergency, but it doesn't mention if the water has to be boiled, hot or can it be cold..

The thing I didn't know is that it has to be discarded within two hours. Wow :shock:

dakotakdq

Post by dakotakdq » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 pm

wow a lady I know here never heated her babys formula once bub was about 3 mths old

it looked like a pretty scarey storm! Townsville was so lucky they got away with as little damage area as they did. Im releived no one was seriously hurt. I saw the storm hitting on the BOM website and even that didnt say how bad the winds would get!