Bottled water

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.
Bex

Post by Bex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Thank you wise ladies! This was to be used with formula, but was being advised because of the 'no need to boil it' ideal. I wasn't sure if it was being offered as an alternative or an extra either. But this has given me a great deal of information and I am most appreciative for it.
Dear Past, thankyou for the lessons. Dear Future, I'm ready.

Darius got the good stuff for 2years 8 months 1 week and 2 days!

Shelleybooby McBoobster
Location: Laugh a little (or a lot) everyday. It's good for your soul :-)

Post by Shelleybooby McBoobster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't know about you guys but I found this thread really interesting and have learnt a lot of new things. I love this forum :D
Co-storking Mummysez! :-D

Feather

Post by Feather » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Shellybooby wrote:I don't know about you guys but I found this thread really interesting and have learnt a lot of new things. I love this forum :D
Just read this thread, ditto
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 am

Karleen wrote:Actually, formula should not be made up with fluoridated water! There is already fluoride in infant formula, using fluoridated water creates the potential for overload and associated problems.
Karleen
Our water here has added fluoride & simply boiling it does not remove fluoride, so making up formula here from boiled mains water, which would be the most common form, would have additional fluoride, never been warned of overloading/problems with this before.

Can I add the bottled water & tooth decay issue, is more of a problem seen in older children who have only had access to bottled water.
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months

MummySez

Post by MummySez » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Karleen, I hadnt realized that infants could get flouride overload from formula made with fluoridated tapwater. Our tapwater has flouride, and none of my ff friends filter the water first. Is this not widely known? Do you have more info on that? The link about water for infant feeding is really interesting, do you happen to know of any info in more plain language that I could point some of my friends/my CHN/Playgroup leader(who gives feeding advice to young mums) and so on to???
Shellybooby, you're right, I can't believe how much I've learnt from this forum :)
Sarah

"Kingdoms are clay; our dungy earth alike
Feeds beast as man. . . ."

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I wrote to Karleen regarding the fluoride in water and she wrote:

The situation is a bit more nuanced than I presented in my post (my main point was that not using fluoridated water to make up formula is not a bad thing but a good thing). Babies who don't have formula as their sole source of food are not really at risk of problems but young, fully formula fed babies are potentially at risk depending on the level of fluoridation of the water.
Karleen

She also provided me with a study from
Siew, C., S. Strock, et al. (2009). "Assessing a potential risk factor for enamel fluorosis: a preliminary evaluation of fluoride content in infant formulas." Journal of the American Dental Association 140(10): 1228-1236.

and I just want to quote the results they found

RESULTS: Fluoride concentrations of the different formulas were low and, if reconstituted with low-fluoride water, would not result in ingestion of fluoride at levels exceeding the IOM's upper tolerable limit. Some infants aged between birth and 6 months who consume powdered and liquid concentrate formulas reconstituted with water containing 1.0 part per million fluoride likely will exceed the upper tolerable limit of fluoride.

Karleen also advised me that current formula's have pretty low levels of fluoride in them now.
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months