The Force- TV show

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.
Capricious
Trainee

The Force- TV show

Post by Capricious » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:41 pm

DH is watching 'The Force' a real life type show where the cameras follow Polic around and then the footage has been narrated.

On this particular episode two women and a 3 month old baby were trapped in a lift, in between 2 floors. The voice over describes the lack of fresh air in the elevator. Footage showed the doors being pried open and someone from the 'rescue squad' going in to help them out, but afterwards when a Police Officer is talking directly to the camera and says "The Mother was feeding the baby so she was pacified and now the women are being treated for dehydration".

As the segment started DH said "Poor baby" and I replied with "Gee I hope they are breastfeeding" so my ears were immediately pricked up- so glad it was a happy ending!

flutterbye

Post by flutterbye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 am

I too was watching this episode, though only catching bits due to many interuptions. I heard in the beginning the narrator saying trapped in high heat and the baby needed food. So my pesimistic side was thinking probably on ABM so making a bad situation even more desperate.

I am so glad to hear the baby was breastfeeding during the situation.

Has made ask though, If a mother is dehydrated how long before the dehydration effects her supply? Can bubs keep hydrated when feeding from a dehydrated mum?
DD: 6/2007 BF for 23 months
DS: 3/2010 BF for 26 months

foggylog

Post by foggylog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 pm

not emergency related, but I am dehydrated (sick) and bubs is doing well. he got abit dehydrated, but once i prompted him to keep feeding he has been doing well.

not sure how long/severe dehydration would take to affect supply.
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm

foggylog wrote:not emergency related, but I am dehydrated (sick) and bubs is doing well. he got abit dehydrated, but once i prompted him to keep feeding he has been doing well.

not sure how long/severe dehydration would take to affect supply.
Not sure but I had gastro for a week and couldn't keep anything down and both kids were still feeding, so more than a week apparently :lol:

I thought the same thing about the baby needing food, bit of dramatization for TV. But when then they showed the tiny baby I figured she would still be breastfeeding.