Lack of Information inthe media

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.
DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Dolly, in an EEers situation, I'm thinking a bulk supply of batteries would need to be on your 'essential supplies' list?

I'm on the Gold Coast and THE only info regarding feeding babies in general was as Karleen said - press coverage of "essential supplies including infant formula" being airlifted in...
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

snowie

Post by snowie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I was listening to the local ABC radio station for Brisbane during the week that the floods came through here. The announcer there mentioned that she had been contacted by the ABA Helpline (I think), she sounded a bit sus about why a BF helpline would need to be announced during the crisis but announced it anyway. She also commented that there seemed to be too many numbers in the helpline number. She only announced the phone number and didn't seem to know the 'word version' ie 1800 MUM 2 MUM, or to telll us to drop the last number if ringing from a VOIP phone.
Never forgetting our angel babies

kay

Lack of information in media

Post by kay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Perhaps it is timely now to issue another media release to increase awareness in the media and general public.
I am also hopeful that Qld. Health will see the need for more information to be disseminated.

James' Mum

Post by James' Mum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 pm

I am certain that we NQ'ers could use a bit more media coverage. I think with our widespread and smaller townships it becomes even harder for people to access help and good information. Our nearest maternity hospital is 2 towns and 200km's away, so I am not even sure there would be a midwife at the local hospital, let alone a lactation consultant, or cousellor. Our local group is also based in the same place, so none of the ladies here (that I know of) make it to meetings either. I hope that I can offer assistance to mothers here if we get hit by cyclone Yasi. Any suggestions as to what can be done are welcome.
ImageImage

kay

Lack of information in the media

Post by kay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:03 am

Having a private place where new mothers and babies can feed if there is a need for evacuation. Offering mother to mother support. Having your copy of Breastfeeding...naturally at hand.If enough power on mobile, contacting 1800 mum 2 mum.
The media release from Sept 2010 has informaton re needs of formula feeding babies, 24 litres of H2O per day for feeding and cleaning etc.

Our thoughts are with you up there.

James' Mum

Post by James' Mum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks Kay! I have just printed off a few of your media media release documents from the 14th of January, as I think the info is still relevant, for display at playgroup, community noticeboard. Hope this is ok.
ImageImage

Working Mum

Post by Working Mum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I did see something over here in the press during the height of the floods, but alas, totally the wrong message :(

On page 2 of our daily paper is a "Column" and generally it is taking the mickey out of the 'news'.

The couple of paragraphs went something along the lines of the most inappropriate / bizarre media release that came across their desk in these turbulent days was from the "those" people at the ABA, and it took to work on the opening line of the statement.

It really disturbed me and I didn't keep a copy. I wanted to write back and have a go, but it would have only caused more poking of fun at ABA. :(
DC#1 - 8 years - "Mr T"
DC#2 - 4 years - "The K-meister"

Live every day to its fullest; give, love and laugh; for you will never know what tomorrow may bring.

kay

Lack of information in the media

Post by kay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

That would be great James Mum-spread the media release as widely as possible, to local newspapers and internet sites etc.. Community billboards, kindys and playgroups are perfect spots.

Working Mum I just had another look at our media release, trying to get my head around what they just don't get. No--can't do it. I have been around ABA circles too long!

Perhaps in a similar circumstance, you could contact the media outlet as a concerned mother and let them know for example, how much ABA information and support helped you with breastfeeding, especially in the early days. You could say( not trying to put words in your mouth or anything) how grateful you are to be breastfeeding, and wonder how you would manage in an emergency with no power or clean water if you were formula feeding.

They obviously don't know how important knowlegable support is to breastfeeding mothers and how important it is to breastfeed in these circumstances. Bit by bit we need to let the media know.( off my soapbox now).

kay

Lack of media information

Post by kay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I should have mentioned that with media releases it is a great idea if you mention where you are distributing it with your local ABA group leader. If you have any interest from a media outlet you need to direct that enquiry to your local group leader.

Samby

Post by Samby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:18 pm

I was pleased that in the Sunday Herald Sun article re the run of 40 degree days we are having this week they talked about who should take particular care and stay hydrated etc - as expected it included the elderly and young babies but they also made mention of nursing mothers.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Working Mum wrote:I did see something over here in the press during the height of the floods, but alas, totally the wrong message :(

On page 2 of our daily paper is a "Column" and generally it is taking the mickey out of the 'news'.

The couple of paragraphs went something along the lines of the most inappropriate / bizarre media release that came across their desk in these turbulent days was from the "those" people at the ABA, and it took to work on the opening line of the statement.

It really disturbed me and I didn't keep a copy. I wanted to write back and have a go, but it would have only caused more poking of fun at ABA. :(
This saddens me reading this.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010