URGENT - Mother and baby in distress, advocacy needed.

Emergencies happen, in urban and rural Australia. Breastfeeding during an emergency situation is important to keep babies safely hydrated and fed. Share your stories and information in this section.

URGENT - Mother and baby in distress, advocacy needed.

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 am

Some of you may have heard about baby Asha (pseudonym). For those who haven't, this is my current understanding:

She is the baby of detained asylum seeker parents who was born in Australia and has been transferred to Nauru.
Mum was very distressed about their treatment and transfer from Darwin to Nauru and believed her milk had dried up. She's been trying to feed Asha formula but does not have the facilities or knowledge to do so safely (safe clean hot water, clean bottles etc) Karleen spoke with her on the phone about relactation but she needs greater breastfeeding support than that. There are no other babies on Nauru so she is very isolated. Asha's life is in very real danger unless the situation changes drastically (for example, adequate bf support provided, safe formula provided if wanted/needed in accordance with WHO guidelines (clean bottles, ready made sterile tetra packs etc), transfer back to Australia with appropriate support.)

This issue is related to, but separate from, Australia's policies regarding and treatment of those seeking asylum in general. This is about a mother and a baby in very real distress who need our help desperately.

If you are able to help or want to know more please join the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/656651787801894/ , follow the hashtag #saveAsha on Twitter, contact me or any of the others involved, or post here.

(Posted with admin approval)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Re: URGENT - Mother and baby in distress, advocacy needed.

Postby snowie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for posting Penguin xx
I'm so upset :( something like this could happen
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Postby Penguin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 pm

DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Mudcake » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 pm

I've just requested to join the fb group. This breaks my heart. I am always looking for ways to help asylum seekers & especially these poor families, children, babies :(
ImageImage
Trainee BC
Mudcake

Postby Nicwwjd » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Thank you for sharing Penguin- I heard of this briefly on the news last week, but nothing since. I'm part of the fB group now- thanks for the link.
Hoping that there is some action soon to help Asha and her parents.
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Return to Infant Feeding in an Emergency