Joyful Decluttering: Now with photos!

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Jenbt85

Re: Joyful Decluttering: Now with photos!

Post by Jenbt85 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:07 am

MamaMagoO? wrote: I'm certainly not aiming for minimalism, just order and I love the idea of being surrounded only by those things that spark joy.
This was it for me too. I love minimalism, but accept that with kids that we will own more. I love that my life is simplified for doing this declutter. I'm more organised and it has made me question and change shopping / spending habits.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:32 am

Oh Jen. That sounds like heaven. It is my goal to get to where you are :D
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:05 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:Oh Jen. That sounds like heaven. It is my goal to get to where you are :D
It'll happen :D
DD - breastfeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:16 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:Oh Jen. That sounds like heaven. It is my goal to get to where you are :D
This!!!!!

This whole post had inspired me. Got the book last night.
Did it take long to declutter? I'm scared to start in case i get interrupted and don't finish. .. (granted I haven't donated reading the book)
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:26 pm

DigDig wrote:
This!!!!!

Did it take long to declutter? I'm scared to start in case i get interrupted and don't finish. .. (granted I haven't donated reading the book)
I think the trick DIgDig is to do a bit at a time - you won't be able to do all your house in a weekend, but you can probably do your wardrobe on a saturday afternoon - she steps through it in the book and makes it all seem quite achieveable.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
DigDig wrote:
This!!!!!

I think the trick DIgDig is to do a bit at a time - you won't be able to do all your house in a weekend, but you can probably do your wardrobe on a saturday afternoon - she steps through it in the book and makes it all seem quite achieveable.
That sounds doable. Thanks. It's inspiring!
DD2 - BFeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:47 pm

DigDig wrote:
This!!!!!

I did it over about three months, with DH home most of the time to take care of the kids. Since having done most of the house, I'm actually doing a second sweep and refining further. The book really changed my outlook on what I kept and gave me permission to throw more than I would have otherwise. I wasn't a purist to her method, but largely kept the ideas in my mind (ie, I went a room at a time but now centralise my pens all in one place and not in multiple rooms, same as bedsheets and hair ties).

I have since sorted out a lot of personal admin - rolling super together, understanding what insurance I have in case of death or injury. I applied to uni, started the BC training etc. I have more admin to do, but I have a better grasp on things than I did.

I do about an hour of housework a day now (necessary daily chores including a quick tidy round) and am sharing anything beyond that with DH. My house feels like it is in disarray at the moment as we have a mountain of stuff building for donation, but that will go in the next two weeks. We're really close to our "click point" though. It has honestly been life changing for me.
DD - breastfeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Wow Jen, that sounds amazing. Congrats on enrolling to uni and the bc training. Definitely great resolutions! You are definitely where I would like to be. We are always in disarray with our paperwork in particular but also with other things. Will not be so easy with the baby and toddler though i think given hubby is out of town most weeks.

What did you do with clothes that brought you 'joy' but that you didn't fit into? I'm wondering what to do given I've just had a baby. And wondering what to do with my non nursing clothes and bras.

Also not sure about her thoughts on books. Will definitely get rid of some but it brings me joy to see the books and have them around. There are also some that I have not read and dine my husband has not read. Plus I want the girls to have books in their lives and i think if they see and have access to books at home they might be more inclined to read them.

While i really like the book, it seems that the author didn't have children at the time if writing (though i haven't finished reading as yet).
DD2 - BFeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:02 pm

We had a big book cull about five years ago. I have kept about three big book cases full - that is about a third what we had because now the books are not stacked two or three deep. I kept books I thought I would want to read again (particularly if I had already read them multiple times). Lots of classics, some garden/permaculture books, my entire back catalogue of pattern magazines, some parenting books I keep to lend out to people.

What we got rid of - penny dreadful books we were never going to read again, years of old gardening magazines, books about crafts I was never going to start practicing, the books that were at the back of the three deep stack and had been there for years, recipe books I never used.

I am missing one recipe from one book I shouldn't have decluttered. Otherwise it has been five years of library use, and we have probably only added another two or three dozen books to our collections. DH still has some 'treasures' in the garage :roll:

I never would have thought we could throw out any books, but it has been really great - I'm so glad we did it - and it has saved us LOADS of money because we go to the library instead of the book shop as first port of call. 8)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:I never would have thought we could throw out any books, but it has been really great - I'm so glad we did it - and it has saved us LOADS of money because we go to the library instead of the book shop as first port of call. 8)
Just looking at my shelf i can see we could get rid of about one third. We have just started going to the library again and it's great. Hubby wants to keep a hard copy of all the books he has read. He even buys hard copies of one's he's got on electronic version. Seems silly to me. ...We have a lot of classics and books we love.
DD2 - BFeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 pm

DigDig wrote:Wow Jen, that sounds amazing. Congrats on enrolling to uni and the bc training. Definitely great resolutions! You are definitely where I would like to be. We are always in disarray with our paperwork in particular but also with other things. Will not be so easy with the baby and toddler though i think given hubby is out of town most weeks.

What did you do with clothes that brought you 'joy' but that you didn't fit into? I'm wondering what to do given I've just had a baby. And wondering what to do with my non nursing clothes and bras.

Also not sure about her thoughts on books. Will definitely get rid of some but it brings me joy to see the books and have them around. There are also some that I have not read and dine my husband has not read. Plus I want the girls to have books in their lives and i think if they see and have access to books at home they might be more inclined to read them.

While i really like the book, it seems that the author didn't have children at the time if writing (though i haven't finished reading as yet).
Thanks DigDig

MK just had a baby in the past few months, but she didn't have children when she wrote it. I think that doing the declutter her way is not feasible with young children around.

My kids have loads of books and we go to the library regularly so I feel ok (personally) with chucking out books. I am an absolute fanatic about books and reading - just ask my poor DH who lugged 7kgs of books around Europe for me!! I got an ereader for Christmas that year Haha. I have kept the books that I absolutely love and would revisit in the future. I have chucked about 60 books though and not thought about any of them since.

With clothes, I put everything I owned on the floor regardless of size and decided whether it needed to be chucked, donated or kept. I then bundled up the first two piles and got rid of them. Of the stuff that I wanted to keep, I divided the pile into two: what fits now and what is too small. As I have lost weight, I have donated the maternity stuff. Anything that was too small, I put in a vacuum pack.

I am a dress size bigger than pre-pregnancy (6kgs to go!) and I feel like in six months, I'll be back in my smaller sizes again. As a result, I recently revisited my wardrobe and anything that I didn't absolutely love in the smaller sizes got chucked. I considered material (see my I hate ironing thread lol) and cut - anything needing a strapless bra got donated. I considered whether I could see myself wearing that item of clothing in the next relevant season and if I'd wear it again the following year in that season should the weight not come off in time.

I'm left with about a quarter of my original wardrobe. I've kept some of my nicer pre-pregnancy bras but wonder if I'll be that size again any time soon. I reckon I could get my wardrobe down to even less as I am still not using my full wardrobe. I've found a capsule wardrobe website (can pm if you're interested) that I'm starting to think about doing once I'm in my usual clothes.

Sorry that was long winded, hope it helps.
DD - breastfeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 pm

I did my closet in about 2 days, still got a little to go but got rid of 3 big bags! It really had helped release me a little, and helped declutter thoughts such as "i spent $× on that dress, i should really try and wear it".

All that guilt is gone. It is wonderful. Can't wait to keep going.
DD2 - BFeeding