Lunch box ideas - again

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Ruth

Post by Ruth » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Yoghurt squeezy from the baby food aisle has no sugar but a touch more exxy

jessles
Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Post by jessles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Time to resurrect this thread again with the start of the new year approaching.

So for all you "experts" out there.... what do your "big school" kids like to have in their lunchboxes? What do you find doesn't get eaten?

The joys of child #1 reaching the milestone of big school and I'm trying not to stress, but want to make her lunchbox "fun"

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm

My 2 don't seem to like sandwiches. At least, not as often as I'd like them to :lol:

Leftovers are usually acceptable. Fruit and yoghurt, biscuits with cheese, mini frittatas seem to be a bit of a hit atm. Ask me again in February....

thanks for ressurecting this one jessles :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Our school has 'nude food Wednesday', so I've bought some containers that cater to the nude food principle. They're the perfect size (there's 3 that screw into the base of the next one, and one lid on top if that makes sense) and I've been putting things like:

- rice crackers (either the round ones, or the multi coloured small bits - always confuses me that they're all called rice crackers!)
- home made (or when desperate store bought) biscuits
- plain savoury biscuits - either by themselves or with a smear of butter & yeast spread
- grapes/watermelon/whatever
- popcorn
- cucumber sticks (carrot, celery, etc would obviouisly work as well but fussy child syndrom is in full swing)

Then I throw in a bread roll with yeast spread or ham & cucumber (plus ice brick), a piece of fruit, and sometimes another single container similar to the others with yoghurt/custard.

Things I'd like to send but can't (either won't eat or not allowed due to food intolerances) include:
- meatballs
- fried rice
- leftover roast meat
- mixed salad tub
- zucchini slice/bacon & egg pie/frittata type things
- hard boiled egg
- fruit salad

School bags are outside but supposedly in the shade, and the ice brick inside insulated lunchbox inside school bag seems to have worked so far...
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh, and I need to drag out my breadmaker again.

I was doing scrolls at one stage last year & they were a hit. Options I tried were:
- ham/bacon & cheese
- yeast spread & cheese
- cinnamon sugar (for me, not the kids)
- 'chocolate' - using chocolate drink-making powder made into a spreadable paste with a bit of water or milk

Those without our restrictions could go wild - I'd love to be able to send 'pizza' scrolls, but can't :(
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

VictMommy

Re: Lunch box ideas - again

Post by VictMommy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 pm

When my brother went off to work for a couple weeks last year and I was watching his DS, I would try and make a healthy lunch for him but it can be hard. Something I did to make it a little easier is that I would take an hour or two one day and make a big batch of something to send with him (Hummus, falafel, tzatziki with some vegetables etc.) and then I wouldn't have to worry about a snack to send with him. Of course I still had to figure out what the heck I was going to make for lunch but you can't win them all :)
DS-July 16 2014
DD-March 4th 2016