Lunch box ideas - again

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
adk

Lunch box ideas - again

Post by adk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I know there have been posts about this before, but DS is at a REALLY strict kinder - no sweet biscuits, no cakes, no packets of snack biscuits etc, they even want you to use unprocessed meat and cheese rather than cheese slices and ham etc. They suggest things like nori rolls, but i have to tell you, as a single mum of two that works 6 days a week, i do not have the time to make nori rolls in the morning!!!! And i don't think DS would appreciate eating nori rolls on wednesday that were made on sunday lol!!

I have been buying things like healthy fruit bars as snacks, which the kinder seems to be ok about, but i really cant afford the pre packaged health food stuff any more. So what can i cook that is not a biscuit and is not a cake to go in his lunch??

I tend to send 2 pieces of fruit, a sandwitch, and some cheese and crackers or vege slice if i have made it during the week, but i like to send something "sweet" as well - and he still tells me i don't send enough food!!!! Any ideas on healthy snacks that don't look like a cake or a biscuit?? As i write this i am thinking muffins - any easy recipes out there??
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 pm

What will happen if you send a healthy lunch that is not in accordance with their rules?

Because frankly, while I think it's positive for kinders to encourage healthy eating, I don't think that being overly strict is reasonable.

My child's kinder lunchbox usually involves a sandwich (might be yeast spread, jam, liverwurst, or tuna), a cheese stick (processed or not depending on what's on special that week), a squeezy tube of yoghurt, and some fruit. It's quick and easy and I think it's perfectly reasonable considering his diet at other times.

Widget

Post by Widget » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

DD1 lunch box is normally

sandwich with some form of spread
Fruit of some kind.
rice crackers or carrot sticks with dip
Savoury muffin
Yogurt
DD1 27/2/07 BF 13 months
DD2 22/11/09 BF 18 months

nermylama

Post by nermylama » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm

is there a sticky on lunchbox ideas? if there isn't can we make one????? I would love that, I'm always looking for new ideas! I have a big platter type thing and every few days I chop up a bunch of fruit/vegies and put them in the fridge so every day I just have to whip it out and put a few of each in a tub. My dd loves stuff like dried apricots with a spoon full of cream cheese in them, they take hardly any time. And I make fritter things, not sweet but sooo easy to do while you're doing dinner. If I'm steaming vegies I just do an extra cup or so and put them in a bowl while I'm dishing out dinner, then mash them, add an egg, some grated cheese and a bit of flour and shape them into little balls and fry them or stick them in the oven. If I co ordinate it right then they are finished and into a container in the fridge while I'm still cooking dinner so it's no extra time.
Courage is not always a lion that roars. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice that says "I will try again tomorrow"

Samby

Post by Samby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Savoury:
Fritters using chopped meat and/or corn, peas or grated vegies
Risotto balls
Pasta
Pastry Pinwheels
Mini Quiches

Sweet:
Pikelets
Mini Muffins

FiveInTheBed

Post by FiveInTheBed » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm

nermylama wrote:is there a sticky on lunchbox ideas? if there isn't can we make one????? I would love that, I'm always looking for new ideas!
Agree!
There will be Five in the bed in September!

adk

Post by adk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 pm

What will happen if you send a healthy lunch that is not in accordance with their rules?

Because frankly, while I think it's positive for kinders to encourage healthy eating, I don't think that being overly strict is reasonable.
I totally agree. That has been my issue since the start of the year. I was told at the interview that the other kids "tell on" the child who brings unhealthy food, and the teachers have been known to take the food away!! It seems ridiculous to me, i think i am a relatively healthy parent, and the odd cheese stick, even plain sweet biscuit, or packet of shapes etc is not the end of the world. It is not like i send doughnuts or chips for heavens sake, but those are the rules.

Having said that, i had totaly forgotten about sending yoghurt (although those little tubs are expensive, but maybe i could put some in a plastic container and tell DS to put the lid back on before he puts it back in his lunch box lol). Fritters sound like a great idea too. It doesn't have to be sweet, it is just what i get stuck on. Thanks for the ideas ladies!!
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

FiveInTheBed

Post by FiveInTheBed » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 pm

The apricots with cream cheese is a great idea!

We do celery sticks with cream cheese in them, or peanut butter. On the cream cheese I sometimes add sultanas as well, or dried cranberries or blueberries look great and taste yummy.

Good old Boiled eggs are a huge hit with my toddler too.

FiveInTheBed

Post by FiveInTheBed » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:04 pm

adk - we have a lunch box that has 4 compartments in it - they are removable too, so it can have none or up to 4. I find having the four really makes me think about a balanced lunch for M for daycare. They sections are a really decent size. I got the lunchbox at the fabric store.
She usually has some kind of combo of:
* Baked Beans
* Bread rolled up with yeast spread/jam/cream cheese/peanut butter (we call them snails)
* Dried Apple & Sultanas or other dried fruit
* fresh fruit
* Mini muffins or homemade biccies or slice
* Homemade pikelets or pancakes
* Leftovers from the night before
* Rice & soy sauce (eaten every time without fail!)
* Pasta & plain tomato sauce/cheese sauce
* Hard-boiled eggs
* Cheese sticks & cold lunch meat
* Leftover roast vegies/steamed vegies/raw vegie sticks
* Sushi
* Pretty much anything - obviously ;)

I send yoghurt in a tub/squeezee yoghurt too. Whatever was on special.

I'm lucky because my kid pretty much eats anything. But having the small bits of stuff is good because if she's having a "I don't like *insert food here*" kind of day, she still has other stuff for lunch.
She also has a teacher who puts the lid back on the lunchbox for her at the end of the day so I'm lucky there.

If you google "Bento lunchboxes" you'll come up with thousands of products. They're adorable but quite expensive and ours was $8. Bargain.
Last edited by FiveInTheBed on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 pm

You could also make your own muesli bars, I've tried a few different recipes and they were all pretty good. Cheaper than buying prepackaged and you can just put whatever your kids like or don't like in the way of dried fruit in there.

I agree about the yogurt, just buy a big one and put it into little reusable plastic tubs for him to eat. Much cheaper.

akinasmum

Post by akinasmum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:16 pm

won't get them for much longer but
- hot cross buns
- scones measure out the night before then whizz in food processor do some plain with jam for breaky and a handful of cheese etc for lunch. Take 15 mins in a hot oven.
- tubs of custard are also a nice change from yoghurt
- a handful of breakfast cereal, lots of bite size types available
- baked beans/spag/ravioli from a tin
- popcorn

DD is at school for three meals out of 6 so I always think
- protein
- carbohydrate
- veg
- fruit
and try and keep it colourful.
Devil Womans Mum

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

DD2's lunch box is usually A wholemeal butter sandwich (she never has anything else in a sandwich :roll: ) One of those "squeezy" yogurts, a cheese stick, big chunk of cucumber, and some dried fruit and nuts. They give them fruit and toast at recess.

:-)

One thing that REALLY irks me, is that yes they have the no chips, chocolate/lollies etc policy over the whole school (which I'm fine with and wouldn't put in her lunch box anyway DD1's is pretty much the same as DD2's above), yet DD1 frequently comes home from school saying she got lollies from the teacher as prizes. :roll: I don't mind if she has the odd lolly, but it just seems like a double standard that they say we can't as their mum's give them lollies but they can give them lollies in class as an incentive.
My girls...DD1 - 8 (bf for 17 months)
DD2 - 4 (bf for 24 months)
My DH 43 yrs, married 8 yrs to myself 32 yrs!!

Formerly MargueriteR

Ebony
Trainee

Post by Ebony » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:13 pm

cAtdraco wrote:What will happen if you send a healthy lunch that is not in accordance with their rules?

This is one of the issues which makes me angriest. I have two reasons. Firstly, whilst I appreciate what they're trying to achieve and support the general concept, they are not the parent. I don't see why they should be allowed to override a parent's perfectly healthy choice simply because it doesn't appear on their set list, and then take that food away and replace it with something else. Secondly, I don't believe they're teaching healthy eating one single bit. Healthy eating is about learning to make the best choices to fuel your body, it's not about creating yes/no choices and sticking to them no matter what. I know that kids are only eating a portion of their meals at school, but I still believe it has a strong influence. I don't want kids bringing unhealthy food to school either, but all too often I hear about a line being crossed. Foods like yoghurt, cheese and sandwiches with anything other than salad on it being forbidden or removed from children's lunchboxes and replaced with nothing but a piece of fruit. It makes me furious!

Anyway, off the soapbox and into the kitchen...

- Quiche
- Zucchini slice
- Lasagne
- Pasta and sauce
- Risotto
- Boiled egg
- Sandwiches
- Tuna patties
- Dried fruit mix
- Crackers/vegie sticks and dip
- Fruit salad with dipping yogurt
- Muesli bars
- Crumble, made with tinned fruit and muesli on top
- Cheese with dried apple and/or sultanas
- Pikelets, with either savoury spread or something like ricotta and honey
~Ebby Ebby~

akinasmum

Post by akinasmum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 am

I don't see why they should be allowed to override a parent's perfectly healthy choice simply because it doesn't appear on their set list
Because there is a growing number of little people being obese and suffering in their teens from disease related to diet that has normally been associated with middle age.
That being said the 'rules' came in the last two years DD was in care, big school couldn't care less the canteen is their only concern. I did feel it was oppressive and it irked me majorly but I didn't have to make too many changes to what I was sending either.
If it gets parents buying more or thinking more about their diet then it is good, if it introduces little people to a wider range of foods it is good.
There are a lot of discrepencies on the lists - homemade muffins, yes some people think they are great because they are preservative free but they are still jammed pack full of sugar and butter and mostly white flour.
There are lots and lots of food you can send and as they always said at care to the kids you can eat that food - chips, lollies - but you can share them at home with your family.
Devil Womans Mum

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am

You know what gets up my nose about all this? It is all well and good while the kids have a refrigerator available to keep their lunchboxes cool (and possibly a microwave to reheat leftovers).
BUT Here's what happens when they get to big school. It's 35 degrees in the playground. If the kids are lucky, their school bags are kept in an annex to the classroom. If they're really lucky, the classroom is air conditioned. You can pack lunch in an insulated lunchbox but there's usually not enough room in the for the lunch AND enough ice bricks to maintain the internal temperature of the lunchbox in the safe zone (under 5degrees celcius). So you can back a small esky - but nothing else will fit into their school bags. Bottom line, it is impossible to keep lunches at a food safe temperature in an Australian summer (and probably winter in many places).
The 'healthy' lunch I packed at 7am (nori rolls, peanut butter sandwiches, boiled eggs, pasta salad, chicken drumsticks, rice salad, cheese and crackers, yoghurt pots, vege sticks) is a distinctly un-healthy microbial soup by 1:20PM when the kids get their lunch break. So what's a mummy to do? Choose healthy home-made and risk a bout of gastro (with a side of neurotoxin in the case of rice) or send energy dense, nutritionally light pre-packaged but food safe options???
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13