Slow Cooker Questions.....

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Chel070

Post by Chel070 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Just thought I'd put this in if anyone is interested. For the past few months I've been making yoghurt and using the slow cooker to 'incubate' it. It works really well and is so yummy and creamy! It is a bit fiddly so I do it on days I'm at home.

First I heat the milk to just before boiling, (then I add some milk powder, which helps it come out thicker and creamier) then let the milk cool, meant to be to around 50 degrees, I don't use a thermometer but got a tip off a blog which seems to work, its cool enough when you can leave your little finger (clean) in there for 10 seconds (so still really warm). Then add a couple of tablespoons of the warm milk to a couple tablespoons (this is for 1 litre of milk) of yoghurt and mix to combine, then mix through the milk. I then transfer to a yoghurt container and put warm water in the slow cooker and put the container in their, to try and keep it at the 50 degrees. Then comes the fiddly part, in trying to keep it around that temp. I've found the yoghurt is pretty forgiving at going both too cold and too hot. I usually put it on the keep warm setting for awhile, then switch off for awhile etc etc. All the while testing the water with my pinky. Its meant to take about 8-10 hours to make, but I find its much quicker, taking more like 3-5 hours.

I've possibly made it sound like more work than it is, but I do it when I'm home with family day care so really no bother cause I'm in and out of the kitchen all day. I think if you're going out for a couple of hours you could just turn the slow cooker off and wrap a towel around to insulate and it would still work really well.

Off to have a look at the rest of this thread as this is all I've been using the slow cooker for lately!
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014

Ezekielsmummy

Post by Ezekielsmummy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

hey starting to use my slowcooker but really have no idea! I would love some really simple recipes that i just stick on and leave but reasonably healthy.

love you guys thanks! :D
DS1, 3 Angels & Precious Matthew with us for only a short time & left me with a heart full of love & ocean full of tears!

3 Little Woody's

Post by 3 Little Woody's » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Ok, anyone hanging around the forum still have this ebooklet?
I am cracking out the slow cooker tomorrow after reading this thread!! :lol:

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 pm

me too pretty please :)
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

4fun

Post by 4fun » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Ebooklet? Im interested too please. I found an awesome blog from acouple of years ago the otherday where she did 365 days of different things in the slow cooker. She has heaps of recipes.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Em's mum

Post by Em's mum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Oooh, can I have a copy as well?

A bit sick of the same ol' recipe that I do, so would love to try something different.

s squirrel

Post by s squirrel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:09 pm

My slow cooker insert had died :cry:
I am getting a new one next week :-D
Anybody got a tried and true chocolate self saucing pudding dish??
I have one but can't find it :(
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Oh no! Apparently there are a couple on the market now where you can sear on the stove top then transfer the insert to the slow cooker. I'm quite keen but my slow cooker isn't broken :roll:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I have found some new family favourite recipes for our slow cooker. DD#2 loves devilled sausages and I used to grab the packet mixes, but we found a recipe 'from scratch' and it's almost easier than the packet mix.
And I found an awesome lasagne recipe. No need to brown the meat- mix meat sauce ingredients, warm cheese sauce in microwave, layer with pasta sheets in slow cooker, come back 6 hours later to dinner.
Can post recipes tomorrow.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

s squirrel

Post by s squirrel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Im going to buy myself another cooker insert tomorrow - the old one makes a good dog water bowl :?

so fess up, who is slow cookering at the moment???
and what are you slow cookering? {new special forum word :lol: }
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 am

I bought a cheapo slow cooker this year, I think it's 4.5L from K-mart. Only used it a few times so far with mixed results. Spag Bol was good, but ribs were iffy - they ended up sweating a lot of liquid and the ribs that were submerged were a bit squidgy.

Something I thought I should share in case anyone checks in on this thread. When deciding what size to get, keep in mind that some cookers do not work properly if you don't fill it enough. So don't assume that bigger is always better unless you're always cooking big meals!
DD born September 2013

michansam

Post by michansam » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:42 am

I found this one online recently and loved it... especially reheated the second night.
Cooked it last night and it was as runny as... but I forgot to put flour around the meat so maybe that made a huge difference! :roll:

1.5kg diced lamb, cup vegetable stock, cup boiling water, 1 bunch spring onions (sliced), 2 large potatoes (quartered), 2 large carrots (quartered), 500g packet peas, corn and beans. can tomato soup, can diced tomatoes, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp curry powder, 3 cloves crushed garlic, pepper and oregano to taste.

Dust lamb with plain flour and add sauces to slow cooker
Add lamb and all other ingredients. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.

Serve with freshly sliced bread stick.
:) Michele
DS April 08
DS2 April 10
ImageImage

michansam

Post by michansam » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

Now about that ebooklet that's been mentioned... Is it still about?
:) Michele
DS April 08
DS2 April 10
ImageImage

Yankee

Re: Slow Cooker Questions.....

Post by Yankee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Eeeeeerg my slow cooker is driving me mental. It seems to work great on high, done some lovely pork shoulder that way. But it never seems to work on low. I just did a 1.5kg piece of beef brisket (cut into 3 chunks), in liquid, on low for over 10 hours. It was cooked but still tough!

Any idea what's going on? Is it just a crap cooker and I shouldn't use it on low anymore?
DD born September 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Slow Cooker Questions.....

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Yankee wrote:Eeeeeerg my slow cooker is driving me mental. It seems to work great on high, done some lovely pork shoulder that way. But it never seems to work on low. I just did a 1.5kg piece of beef brisket (cut into 3 chunks), in liquid, on low for over 10 hours. It was cooked but still tough!

Any idea what's going on? Is it just a crap cooker and I shouldn't use it on low anymore?
I dunno Yankee - some of them are a bit higher or lower than others. If you have any left, maybe you could leave it in the slowcooker on low for a few more hours and see if it gets more tender. Like an experiment?

Is it possible you had a poor quality bit of meat?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either