Anyone here do big batch cooking?

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Anyone here do big batch cooking?

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 pm

So following on from my earlier post about eating all the food in the freezer, I'm almost done. There are still a few bits and bobs in there, but I can think about filling it up again.

I found some jazzy menu planning software and loaded in a bunch of recipes. The software generated a shopping list for me and I'll shop on Saturday morning, then cook up about ten recipes over the weekend. We should have enough dinners to see us through three weeks give or take.

I found when the freezer was over-full, I didn't seem to have any actual dinners in there. I'm hoping this will save us from the twin evils of takeaway food, or variations on pasta with tomato sauce.

Does anyone else do this?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Esther

Re: Anyone here do big batch cooking?

Post by Esther » Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 pm

I've not made 10 meals in one weekend (searching again for the "bow down and worship" emoji), but I have been known to double recipes at times. It definitely helps. Soups, stews and pasta sauces 8)

Let us know how the cooking goes this weekend! And I look forwards to hearing details about some of the dishes planned please!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 am

I have tried to take a new approach in the past, but never quite worked out the system. However, my mum was a 'queen' of the leftovers... I hate to throw wasted food out, but I also do find that I clear the fridge out at least once a week of all the waste/surplus etc...
My holiday project was to meal plan around what was already in the cupboard so that we went used stuff up. We're needing to really watch the budget this month so it's a goal to use up everything in the cupboard instead of just buying more and more fresh food...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 am

I did it! Yesterday I made:
30 lunches for DH and me - one of the recipes made a lot more than I thought it would
20ish dinners for the whole family - I haven't counted

In a weirdly swedish flat-pack furniture outcome, I have a bunch of vegetables left over when I thought the list was exactly what I needed. We'll eat a lot of salad this week to use them up.

We have Guides and soccer training tonight, and the soup for late, speedy dinner is already in the pot on the stove. Feels great.

My freezer is stuffed again and I haven't frozen the last recipe yet because it won't fit. We'll probably save up for a separate freezer to supplement our side by side.

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 pm

This is my problem with cooking ahead...our freezer is small. I need a chest freezer but don't really have the space, unless we put it in the garage but then it's working against summer heat in an uninsulated shed and that would make me feel too guilty.
So i cook spag bol every couple of weks and freeze half. Everything else is cooked quickly when i get home from work. Stirfries, quick pasta sauces (tuna+vegies), steak plus salad+carb. On the weekends i cook things that take more than 30min to prepare and cook.

I feel boring in comparison with the range of food i grew up with.

Your cook up sounds amazing mw! :smt023 :smt038

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 am

Oh Duck, I feel for you on the small freezer. I think that we always expand to fill the space available though, don't we? We have a side by side that we bought when we were setting up house together, so I have never had a little top freezer. First major use of it was freezing ahead food being cooked for our at-home wedding, then freezing leftovers after. (We had canapes for dinner for a month:) ) Could you pop some insulation in the shed, even just on the west facing wall and the roof? Batts are cheap and DIYable. Our shed is super well-insulated with piles of junk :wink:

So one week in and I can honestly say it has been fantastic. I wasn't even that tired at the end of the day on Sunday. DH did most of the washing up and unstacking the dishwasher, I stacked as I went. He is also great about popping in for a little tidy while I have a cup of tea :smt060 . My mum and dad cancelled family dinner at their house so I just pulled an extra meal from the freezer.

This week we had
Tikka Paneer and steamed broccoli, rice
Golden coconut lentil soup (x2)
Chickpea and potato curry with naan
Edamame fried rice
Spinach and ricotta gnocchi with tomato sauce

Some of the recipes have been better than others, but all a mile better than our default desperation dinner of pasta with not much on it. Kids have even been trying a few new things.

I'm now internet shopping for a standalone freezer.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Sat May 13, 2017 5:09 pm

We only have a small freezer too and can't afford a chest freezer nor to have one on.....but I have done a few extra meals for myself for when I can't be bothered to cook for myself nights.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sat May 13, 2017 5:59 pm

I've been reading htis with interest... as I probably out do anyone when it comes to freezers... I think we're up to three running and one of those three is HUGE. but I have no space for extra meals because hubby scored some bread and baked goods and as filled up all with that... and then doesn't eat bread, and neither do I...Although today I think I will seeing as I had parmesan bread with a soup that I bought during the week. delicious. I do try and over cook when I do my cooking on the weekends so I can take left overs for lunch, but that hasn't been successful lately. I'd better back into it. Chicken soup cooking... might try and do a potato and leek soup as well.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I wouldn't say I do 'big batch' cooking, but I have some meals that are basically doubled. And, I have fussy kids... who won't eat anything some nights.
As an example, I did tuna mornay for dinner last night. We had a guest over for dinner, yet I still got 7 meals of leftovers. That one freezes and reheats really well.
We have been dabbling with meal planning... we have some deliberate 'grab it' nights (when older girl is at gymnastics). That reduces the risk of over supply.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!