Overlocker encouragement needed

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Marg
Community Educator

Overlocker encouragement needed

Post by Marg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 pm

This is so embarrassing.....just over two years ago I purchased a very good overlocker. It sits beautifully in its special cupboard inside my sewing table....BUT :oops: I have never had it out of its wrappers - yes - it has never been used - I am too scared to use it....I've never used an overlocker before, but surely it can't be that hard (I'm a competent sewer) ....I must use it tomorrow (part of my 2017 self improvement program) so I need all good vibes from forumites so that I can conquer my fears and learn a new skill....and maybe even make something to boot.
Mum to Monkey 15 (BF 2y2m), Possum 14 (BF1y2m) & Cupcake 12 (fully weaned at 5 1/2)

Esther

Re: Overlocker encouragement needed

Post by Esther » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Do it!! I don't have one and think it would be so much easier with knits, which I haven't ever managed very well on a sewing machine :(

So try it on my behalf and tell me how good it is! :-D

Please, of course 8)
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am

Do it!!
I have a second hand overlocker, still with original box. I got it out long enough to convince DH that 'I need to keep it'. I made 4 skirts for my girls, then packed it back away- 2 years ago.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 am

I love my overlocker. Although I tend to use it simply to neaten seams. It does a great job. I have used it for gathering and stuff, but only for peasant skirts. I certainly don't get enough use out of it, but when I do use it it makes life a lot easier. I think neatening the seams with it is a really good place to start. Also gives you a bit more lee way. Have fun.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Mine lives on the sewing table - nothing better for kids clothes. I use it for all sorts of things - seam finishing on most garments that won't be lined, to seam knits, sometimes to attach the elastic to a skirt, as a decorative hem on kids clothes or sometimes on knits for me.

I don't use it for everything, and I will french seam a simple top rather than rethread the overlocker!! If you tell me you bought the self-threading one I'll cry :)

Just get some old tea towels (non-fluffy ones) and serge all the edges off. Or practice on some old tee shirts that are too far gone for the op shop - you will have some cleaning cloths at the end of the session and a new appreciation for your jazzy machine.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 am

Overlockers scare me after some terrible experiences in year 8 sewing class. But, I've recently discovered my sewing teacher was wrong and actually I can make stuff with a sewing machine, so I don't think they must be all that bad, I think it was just her.
So I think go for it - use some older things as MW suggests and have a fun day of running things through the overlocker. With no really challenging things, or an ogre standing over you it would probably be quite fun and interesting!
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 am

One important thing is to always run a test hem. So I get some scraps and run a hem to make sure the tension is right, as it has to be changed depending on the fabric. I have been known to do 10 test runs before I get it right :) especially when doing denim after light cotton :)