dress making dummy

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
JennyD
Counsellor

dress making dummy

Post by JennyD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:14 am

Yesterday I basically made the same pants twice :( My old favourite pants were on their last legs, so I decided to pull them apart and make a new pair. Very simple pants, just 5 parts, two fronts, two backs and one waste band with elastic in it. So I laboriously unpicked most of the seams (left one leg together, only need one copy of the front and back), traced the bits out, then cut my new pants. As I lay the patterns down, I thought something was a bit off, but they seemed alright, so I cut, then I started sewing. First the inside leg, easy, then the crotch, again that vague feeling of unease, then the outside leg, then I sewed the seam on the waist band. Then when I tried to attach the waistband to the pants, I couldn't work out which was the centre back. Front and back seemed identical. So I pulled out my pattern pieces and compared, they were identical. Cue quick search of rubbish bin for original pants pieces. Rush them inside, back and front definitely meant to be different. Worked out I had traced the front off twice. So quickly binned the one that said back, and went to pick the kids up from school. Retraced the back (correctly this time) then cut it out with spare fabric (luckily I intend to make a second pair), unpicked the previous pair, and started again almost from scratch.

DD is watching all the fun, and asked me what I was doing, her gentle response "I thought the dress making dummy was in the shed, looks like she's in the lounge room". Never confess your stupidity to your 21 year old daughter :)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: dress making dummy

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:21 am

Last pair of pants I cut out I did two left fronts no right front. And not enough fabric to redo so it all went in the bin. I'm glad you had some extra fabric to redeem the situation.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Oh I have a pair of pants affectionately known as my 2 bum pants because I cut out 2 backs rather than 2 fronts. I didn't bother to fix them as they were only going to be worn around the house anyway and too be honest they don't really look all that bad :lol:
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:Oh I have a pair of pants affectionately known as my 2 bum pants because I cut out 2 backs rather than 2 fronts. I didn't bother to fix them as they were only going to be worn around the house anyway and too be honest they don't really look all that bad :lol:
That is gold!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm

:) Two bum pants would at least be wearable. I couldn't even get the two front pants up :)

Now I've noticed that I messed up the seam on the waistband, got to sew it now before I go to get the kids from school. Then I just have to hem it and I can wear them on the weekend.