light rye bread failure in bread machine

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Esther

light rye bread failure in bread machine

Post by Esther » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Just tried the instruction book's rye bread recipe in my bread machine. Total failure :evil: Was horrible and I don't even want to sample it. The top is all sunk in and it doesn't even look like it mixed properly, which is extremely annoying as I'm even meant to use a special paddle for rye flour and I did and nothing happened. Has anyone got a good bread machine recipe for rye bread please?

I've found a nice recipe that just uses the machine to mix the dough, then you bake it in the oven, but it's too late for that tonight. I'm going to make my basic wholemeal and set the timer for the morning. Sometimes I see my mother's dislike of bread machines more easily....Annoyed at the waste of ingredients!

Sorry for domestic, bread-related rant!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: light rye bread failure in bread machine

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Slice it super thin, brush with oil and bake to make zweiback crackers?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 pm

We actually tried some last night and it was really nice, as long as you aren't someone who depends on aesthetically pleasing food :?

I did find a recipe that suggested mixing it in the bread machine and baking it in the oven, plus a bread machine recipe as well. Will take a deep breath and experiment with both. I've also got Mum's recipe for reiska, which is nice and easy too.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Sometimes my bread randomly doesn't work. DH just toasts it and calls it crumpet bread, it seems to need two goes in the toaster :)
I find that sometimes you have to play with the quantities a bit, some bread mixes are different to others, and all yeasts are different. So it means that you have to juggle for a while to get a successful loaf.