Sewing with merino jersey question

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
DigDig

Sewing with merino jersey question

Post by DigDig » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi! A question for all the sewers out there. I got some Merino Jersey to try and make some vests for my children, and a nighty for my toddler. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on the best stitches to use, or if I need a special knid of needle, or an overlocker (serger?) Apparently I can buy a serger to use with my sewing machine (apparently the brand I have [not a sister] sells them to go with the sewing machine). Anyway, just looking for the easiest way to sew, and a way that will keep the stitches in the best.

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for being MIA. We've had visitors non-stop since 23rd Dec, and most of them have been last minute arrivals, plus the addition of having a hubby whose travelling every week).

Thanks again! Any tips advice etc are very welcome! Even if you have any pattern ideas!!!! I just dived into this without much planning!! OOPS!!!!
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Sewing with merino jersey question

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Jersey needle and experiment with stitches - I like a shallow zig zag for seams in jersey - stops the stitches popping when the seam is stretched. Just fiddle with your stitches on some scraps until you get one you like that looks good and doesn't pop under strain. And cut your seam allowances a bit wider if your jersey curls at the cut edges. Trip off later rather than try to uncurl the edge as you sew.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 am

A zig zag is good. I prefer serging knits though.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Thank you both. AP I don't have a serger (that's an overlocker right?) So I'll try a zigzag.
DD2 - BFeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Thank you. I found a stretchy stich and a stretch needle and it worked a treat. Definitely going to try and make more tips for the girls from this merino. The wool is so drapey and warm. Great for winter and cheap considering how much i would have paid for warm clothes off the shelf.
DD2 - BFeeding