Working parents and housework

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Feebes

Working parents and housework

Post by Feebes » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:36 pm

What does your house/garden look like with kids and working 4-5 days a week and in stressful/demanding job IE you get home from work, cook tea, see to kid/s, get ready for the next day and all flop into bed.

My lounge room looks like an op shop sorting out clothing warehouse and nothing in wardrobes. The cleaner is now coming once a week instead of once a fortnight and the only attention the lawns/garden is from the lawn mower people.

*insert single parenting to top it off*

Is this 'normal' in your household or I am not up to scratch?

:oops: :smt102 :smt100 :smt101 :smt090 :-k :smt017

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Working parents and housework

Post by JennyD » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Sounds pretty normal to me. Although as I'm not a single parent and I only work part time, I do manage to keep on top of the washing and the kitchen is mostly tidy. The lounge floor is also usually visible, but the rest of the house is trashed. And as I said I work less than half time and have a husband to help. My mum was a SAHM and our house was tidy, once we were all at school and she could tidy it once we went to school. Of course once we got home it was like a cyclone hit it, but at least she knew she could clean again next morning. Mine however is never clean because I don't have time and it isn't a priority.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:12 pm

JennyD wrote:I don't have time and it isn't a priority.
This is me at the moment.

Work is full on at the moment, on the weekends I need to spend time with the kids (so as I can actually feel like a Mum!) and that down time.

I can see the kitchen, lounge room, wet area & hallway floors. The rest of the house is a bit :roll: .

Last week I worked 5 days, leaving most days after 6, times closer to 7. Then on the Weekend travelled over 1,000kms over two days, got back home at after 10pm and school/work the next day.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm at home full time and still don't manage to clean to my usual standards. Working would be that much harder.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Two full time workers in our house here and it looks like a tip most of the time. We are seeing some improvement after a bit of half-ar$ed decluttering, but it is like a sisyphean rock. I try not to let it get me down and it usually doesn't but we don't have people over often!

We have a cleaning lady come weekly and I hate tidying up so she can clean. Every now and then I think about cancelling the cleaning lady so I don't have to tidy up for her :roll:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Two full time workers in our house here and it looks like a tip most of the time. We are seeing some improvement after a bit of half-ar$ed decluttering, but it is like a sisyphean rock. I try not to let it get me down and it usually doesn't but we don't have people over often!

We have a cleaning lady come weekly and I hate tidying up so she can clean. Every now and then I think about cancelling the cleaning lady so I don't have to tidy up for her :roll:
My cleaner is awesome and will pull out clothes that the kids no longer fit into and shove it in a bag for the op shop. Not your everyday cleaner, but I think that she understand that if she walks in and its a bomb, she just has to deal with it. She often will just do a tidy up for us etc.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:09 pm

We do the bare minimum during the week. As long as we have clean clothing to wear, lunchbox containers to use, and we can walk around while carrying a sleeping child to their bed- it's acceptable.
We moved into this house 2 months ago. We still have a shed full of boxes to unpack, but we have run out of cupboard space. This house is seriously lacking in storage! For me to unpack more stuff, I need to sort through all my bedding, towels and kitchenware. While working full time, with DH also working full time, while spending 17 hours a week with DD to/at/from sports training. (Her club is 116km away, 3 sessions per week, only 10 hours of actual, the rest is travel time).
DH has suggested a cleaner, but it's the actual tidying that gets beyond us some days.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

snowie

Post by snowie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Sounds totally normal to me - our house is only looking marginally tidier these days i.e. I can find the lounge room a couple of days a week because I work part-time.
When I was working full time before pregnant with DD2 we even managed to get a 'notice to remedy' for our yard from the real estate agent - that was the year it was really really hectic here.
Never forgetting our angel babies