quick party food suggestions

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Esther

quick party food suggestions

Post by Esther » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello,

Need to organise some post ice skating food here for DD1's party tomorrow a'noon. Have some time to shop in morning, and a bit of preparation time earlier in a'noon. I have guests who don't eat meat, onion or garlic. The garlic is a bit of a shame, because there goes my fall-back hummus dip.

So far I have plans for vegies sticks, some fruit and some kind of dip that doesn't involve garlic! It will be late a'noon by the time people get back here, so could almost be light dinner. I am not averse to buying a packet of plain chips, or two :-D

Any further thoughts? Was thinking a small plate of chicken wings, but is that a bit rude? I'd like one more substantial-ish vegetarian option.

Oh and there will be cake!

Help!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

jenandchloe

Re: quick party food suggestions

Post by jenandchloe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 pm

mini quiches, finger sandwiches, chips, popcorn, a cream cheese with sweet chilli dip with crackers or turkish bread sliced up.

Good luck, sounds like a fun party

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:32 pm

My mind has gone blank as to the name, but it is chickpea based and you make it into balls or rissoles and fry... Not sure if ithas onion/ggarlic in it though... Sorry it's Friday and my brain is on holidays.
Haloumi cheese is yummy with the Vegie sticks.
Fruit kebabs.
Yoghurt with spices for the dip.

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Ducks wrote:My mind has gone blank as to the name, but it is chickpea based and you make it into balls or rissoles and fry... Not sure if ithas onion/ggarlic in it though...
Felafal???
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

And thanks for suggestions!
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 pm

If you can get to an indian grocer or well stocked asian grocer get some hing or asafetida (or asafoetida) - it is a root sold dried and ground up - commonly swapped in indian recipes for garlic by people who don't eat garlic. I use it when I can't be ar$ed peeling garlic or we run out!

Beetroot dip is pretty nice without garlic - especially if you can get the blister packs of cooked peeled beetroot at your supermarket.

Guacamole and cornchips.

Vegie pizzas - use leb bread or even slices of french stick, tomato paste, olives and mushrooms and a bit of cheese. Felafel are really easy if you use a premix but they'll have garlic in them. What about pakoras? Basically chickpea flour, water, onion and peas or some other green veg. Cook them like pikelets. Super easy if you can get the chickpea flour (besan) - again with the indian or asian grocer. Actually our indian grocer has really nice samosas and frittery things in the freezer section cheeeeeap - check them out - like party pies for exotic eaters :)

Honestly, I don't think it is rude to provide a few veg options and chicken wings. I wouldn't be offended at all. Watch out for garlic in the marinade though.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either