Sourdough crumpets!

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 am

How did I not know about you before now?

There is a new hipster cafe near work and they sent out their menu which had homemade crumpets. It never would have occurred to me to make crumpets, but for $9 I thought I'd give it a go. Anyway they were great made following the internet recipe with regular yeast but a bit of faffing around. Then I remembered someone here I think saying they made sourdough crumpets. Check out the recipes online - basically the bit of starter that you would usually throw out after feeding if it isn't a baking day, salt, bicarb, honey and cook like pikelets. They taste awesome and the kids love them. Yummmmm!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

User avatar
Esther
Posts: 11277
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: The better side of the river ;)

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Esther » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Oh yum!!! I did have a sourdough starter and remember some delicious pancakes.

I want crumpets now :lol:
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

freerange
Posts: 1500
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by freerange » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:12 pm

We used to make them, and sourdough muffins, all the time! Hmm I might have to remind DH... Yum.

User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm

freerange wrote:We used to make them, and sourdough muffins, all the time! Hmm I might have to remind DH... Yum.
I think it was you who posted about them.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

freerange
Posts: 1500
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by freerange » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
freerange wrote:We used to make them, and sourdough muffins, all the time! Hmm I might have to remind DH... Yum.
I think it was you who posted about them.
Lol, and I was going to ask for the recipe! :oops:

I've got so much rye flour at the moment tho I should prob get back into it all.

Hit me with some ideas!

User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:07 pm

So about a cup and a half of starter, half a teaspoon of bicarb, tablespoon of honey or sugar, good pinch of salt. Mix it up and cook like pikelets in a hottish pan. Wait until the top is completely set then cook for 30 seconds on the other side - if you turn them while the tops are set then the holes close over.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

User avatar
MamaMagoO?
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 pm

I want to make these. But first I need a new starter. Really killed mine this time :?

Did you add flour to the mix MW? sounds like you only used starter, or did I miss something?
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

freerange
Posts: 1500
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by freerange » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:I want to make these. But first I need a new starter. Really killed mine this time :?

Did you add flour to the mix MW? sounds like you only used starter, or did I miss something?
Use the spare starter from feeding time :wink:

User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:25 pm

freerange wrote:
MamaMagoO? wrote:I want to make these. But first I need a new starter. Really killed mine this time :?

Did you add flour to the mix MW? sounds like you only used starter, or did I miss something?
Use the spare starter from feeding time :wink:
Yep - that is the beauty of it - only the spare starter that you would otherwise either use to make bread or discard.

My starter was black on top and quite sour MM - it had been neglected in the back of the fridge for over a year. I poured out almost all of it, gave it a big feed and a regular feed and it was back to normal. Maybe give the poor thing one more chance?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

User avatar
MamaMagoO?
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am
Location: In my own little world most of the time

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by MamaMagoO? » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Too late. I chucked it out. It had a really horrible, sulphurish sort of smell which I think means its beyond repair. Shame, really as I have managed to bring it back from what I thought was the dead before but this smell was awful. Will just have to start again.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

User avatar
Penguin
Posts: 10031
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Penguin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 pm

OT but I thought of this thread while DD was playing Humpty's Birthday on the tablet and feeding him crumpets.
That is all.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Image

User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW

Re: Sourdough crumpets!

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:50 am

MamaMagoO? wrote:Too late. I chucked it out. It had a really horrible, sulphurish sort of smell which I think means its beyond repair. Shame, really as I have managed to bring it back from what I thought was the dead before but this smell was awful. Will just have to start again.
Ah well - it should only be a week in this weather. Go yeastie beasties!!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Post Reply