MK declutter thread

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
DigDig

MK declutter thread

Post by DigDig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi. Anyone interested in chatting about the mk book? In learning a lot about why I'm stressed or at home all the time by reading it.

Eg, there are a few books i got on impulse and now realise I will never read. I feel guilty whenever I think about it or look at the shelf which is in our living area. Getting rid of them will make a difference to how I feel.

I love how even in her writing the at of tidying itself is like a meditation.

What have you found good or bad?
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

Jenbt85

Re: MK declutter thread

Post by Jenbt85 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi DigDig,

I loved this book. For me, it became about more than just a declutter. I found that my house was reflective of the person I am / was and that it became as much about a personal growth journey as it did about sorting my house. The good bits for me were:

- getting more organised so that I can tidy up quickly.
- I CAN FIND THINGS!!
- I realised how many things I was holding onto because they were gifts from other people. I didn't necessarily like the gifts or use them but I felt like I 'should' hold onto them. I realised that no one is going to come and knock on my door and ask me about the gift they gave me. I gleefully let go of a lot of those gifts and felt like my house was no longer about the needs of anyone outside it.

I really, really love that my house is getting down to just what we need. The key phrase from the book that has always stayed with me is that houses have adequate storage, we just tend to have too many belongings.

I didn't follow the method precisely and I don't thank my socks for their work (hippy I may be, but I have my limits) :D I found it to be a really fun thing to do. I also found that at first I felt like I was throwing away EVERYTHING, but now that I'm used to living with less, I feel like we still own too much. I have never thought again about a single item that has gone through my door - including books.

The bad bits for me were really only that I went through a phase of being really wired and restless.

I feel like I'm close to getting to an amount of stuff that I would be happy with.

Be back in a bit - baby just woke!
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:41 pm

I've not even finished the book, or the clearing out, but found big changes already. I've done most of the wardrobe. I've found that i had way too many clothes. I don't need many clothes. I've probably cleared at leat 50%. I've found i dint want to shop as much because i know i love everything in my wardrobe. I'm not looking at things i don't like thinking i need more. Because i love everything in there, it feels more full, or maybe i feel more full.

I always knew the "stuff" in my house stressed me and tried the get rid of it but it never worked in the past. Clearing the wardrobe her way showed my why things stressed me. I would krup a skirt or top or dress because i paid si much for them or because i didn't think i had worn it enough. Every time i would look at those clothes i would feel bad or try to see if i could wear it, knowing realistically it want going to happen. It maybe only once or twice more. Getting rid of them got rid of the closet noise in my head. In thy end i didn't even bother to see the size, just he clothing.

Long forward to continuing.
DD2 - BFeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:54 am

My mum was actually horrified that I got rid of a bunch of clothes that had paid a lot of money (on my scale, not proper designer) for. I tried to explain that it was pointless to own them if they did the get worn but I got some pressure to hold onto them. I have two skirts that I love the material of, but actually don't make me feel great. I kept them for this summer while I'm between sizes but haven't worn them so they'll be donated. I'm more in tune with how each item of clothing makes me feel. I'm looking forward to my weight stabilising so I can go out and create a small wardrobe :)
DD - breastfeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Oh and i wanted to clarify, i thought mk didn't have kids nor as an accusation, only because i found that her way would be tricky when it came to children. ..
DD2 - BFeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Jen if I have something I love the fabric but don't wear, I'll sometimes cut it down to make something for Mrs Moops (or Oobiwoo but less often). It works really well.

I had a great pair of cargo pants that didn't fit but I really liked. SO I wore them anyway and they ripped! I cut them down to make shorts for Oobiwoo - works great.

I have my own declutter success story for today. I mostly made a quilt top for my sister for her wedding (five years ago). I had the blocks but couldn't settle on the arrangement of them so I put them away (for five years!!). Anyway over the Christmas break I realised it didn't matter if the set was perfect, since the blocks weren't doing any good at all sitting in a cupboard. So I spread them out on the floor, fiddled for all of ten minutes then sewed them together. I asked at my favourite quilt shop for a machine quilter recommendation and emailed the lady the same day. Today I dropped the quilt off to her, picked backing and batting and thread, and a pattern and it will all be done for me :) The lady commented on how quickly I was deciding on fabric and thread colour and I think it is because I have already let go of the idea of the perfection of this quilt. I like it, and I'll be pleased in the end, but I mostly just feel that it will be better to be finished than perfect. (Also, heaps cheaper than I thought it would be :) )
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 pm

I've never touched a sewing machine, so that hasn't occurred to me - but my very clever MIL makes clothes and could use that material for DD - brilliant idea, thank you.

What a win! That sounds like such a beautiful idea for a present. Even if the gift isn't perfect in your eyes, the thought and time that has gone into it will make it so special that the recipient wouldn't see anything but how lovely it is. How exciting :)
DD - breastfeeding

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Wow that is a great story about the quilt. Well done! I've thought about keeping clothing for the fabric but I'm still a beginner sewer and my mil and gmil sew well but don't live in the same state. I've actually saved things in the past four material but never used it. I wish i did though. So ice decided to donate all those clothes too

I'm impressed you transfer these things mummy woo!
DD2 - BFeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:00 am

Mummy woo! wrote:Jen if I have something I love the fabric but don't wear, I'll sometimes cut it down to make something for Mrs Moops (or Oobiwoo but less often). It works really well.

I had a great pair of cargo pants that didn't fit but I really liked. SO I wore them anyway and they ripped! I cut them down to make shorts for Oobiwoo - works great.

I have my own declutter success story for today. I mostly made a quilt top for my sister for her wedding (five years ago). I had the blocks but couldn't settle on the arrangement of them so I put them away (for five years!!). Anyway over the Christmas break I realised it didn't matter if the set was perfect, since the blocks weren't doing any good at all sitting in a cupboard. So I spread them out on the floor, fiddled for all of ten minutes then sewed them together. I asked at my favourite quilt shop for a machine quilter recommendation and emailed the lady the same day. Today I dropped the quilt off to her, picked backing and batting and thread, and a pattern and it will all be done for me :) The lady commented on how quickly I was deciding on fabric and thread colour and I think it is because I have already let go of the idea of the perfection of this quilt. I like it, and I'll be pleased in the end, but I mostly just feel that it will be better to be finished than perfect. (Also, heaps cheaper than I thought it would be :) )
Going to pick up the quilt this morning - soooooo excited!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 am

Mummy woo! wrote:
Mummy woo! wrote:Jen if I have something I love the fabric but don't wear, I'll sometimes cut it down to make something for Mrs Moops (or Oobiwoo but less often). It works really well.

Going to pick up the quilt this morning - soooooo excited!
Pic please!!!!????
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4