I don't want to iron anymore

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Jenbt85

Re: I don't want to iron anymore

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Does anyone here use white vinegar for fabric softener and if so, is it as effective at reducing wrinkles as actual fabric softener?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:55 pm

I use 2 litres of white vinegar every 12 months or so to clean my machine... I put it on a hot wash cycle with nothing in there other than the vinegar. Works a treat!
Never heard of using it as a fabric softener though (mind you, I've lived a very sheltered life...)
will be following this thread with great interest! :-D
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:58 pm

never. Honestly. When my MIL comes over every 2 years I need to borrow an ironing board for her to use. The only reason I own an iron is because my mum gave me her spare.

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:38 am

I used to use vinegar in the rise for my cloth nappies. I've never used fabric softener though so don't have any thing to offer in comparison.

I also use vinegar to clean my washing machine every now and then :-)
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

SadiesMum

Post by SadiesMum » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:26 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
breastfeedingisnormal wrote:
~WildChild~ wrote:I iron DHs work stuff & a couple of his casual shirts
How did he lose his hands?
Bahahahaha!

Watching DH iron was my greatest challenge in biting my tongue! He has since 'let' me show him how to do it and does fine. (I worked in a drycleaner my first job - I can iron a shirt in about 90 seconds if I set my mind to it :))
DH works in an industry which requires cotton high vis gear. Previous position no ironing was required. When moving here to QLD to a flash new refinery the requirement was to have shirts ironed and tucked in with boots polished. I recall finding this out before our departure and told DH in no uncertain terms that if this was the case then he's gotta iron his own...not my job. Well, that first time it took him MUCH huffing and puffing and I think 3 stubbies of beer. Now he no longer requires beer and can get a shirt done in a couple of minutes. In fact, he irons my work shirts now...which are the only thing that gets ironed. Otherwise we iron if required...which solves some dressing dilemmas at times. :wink:
DS 07/07/99 and DD 19/06/05
♥ ♥Both breastfed and beautiful!♥ ♥

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't iron now I don't work. I select fabrics I like which probably should be ironed, but I just don't care much at present. I hang things up on hangers to dry, which does reduce wrinkles, but not really enough. When I eventually return to paid work I accept I will need to iron. Until that day I revel in my wrinkled wear :lol:
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

A+D

Post by A+D » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:09 pm

My DH also wears hi vis, and just got new shirts that he tells me don't need ironing, however he's been wearing the type that apparently do for the last 9 years, without an iron ever troubling them. I hang fairly quickly when the machine stops, shake very, very well, peg out from the bottom that will be tucked in, when dry shake very well again and then put on a hanger. I have one shirt that requires ironing, it gets worn perhaps once a year. Everything else I fold immediately from the line, and get very cranky if someone else brings in my washing and doesn't adequately shake and appropriately fold things. My kids also associate the iron and ironing board with sewing, and have been known to say "Doing some sewing are you mum" if they should see the iron.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm

I rarely iron anything. I don't buy kids clothes that need ironing, I also don't own anything that needs ironing. The kids school uniforms probably could be ironed, but I hang the shirts carefully on hangers in the laundry and only iron them a couple of times a year. DD2s skirt goes on the line and I pin the pleats in place, I have never ironed it. I occasionally iron DHs work shirt (when he has meetings and has to look professional) the rest of the time he wears polo shirts. the kids aren't really sure what you do with an iron as I use it so rarely. They do understand blocking knitting with it though :)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm

I don't iron anything, I just spin on a lower speed (front loader) and then give them a snap/shake before hanging on the line. DH irons his work shirts.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 pm

I work and have about 50/50 shirts and trousers that might need ironing.... I buy work clothing on-special when I can, and currently have more than 10 work-shirts which means I iron maybe once or twice a month.

I'm working with a psychological therapist due to other health issues and one of the principles I have adopted is a 'do it when you feel like it' mentality... I have noticed that I usually do hit a moment in the month when I actually 'feel like' ironing, so it gets done.

DH has decided he hates that I clothes-dry his work shirts (which are usually non-iron) and they shrink, so he's taken to hanging them wet on hangers... the dryer system works much better for his work trousers, though, so now he's air-drying his trousers and shorts, they definitely need ironing .... he did his stuff and all my trousers, spontaneously, during the Christmas holidays.... I didn't have the heart to tell him that normally I don't iron my trousers as most of them are stretch fabric and they aren't really creased...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm

It's true that I sometimes feel like it. BC, I used to iron whatever I was going to wear in the morning. It isn't feasible to do that with DS running around. I like the idea of ironing everything then putting it away but then I'd have to invest in ironing every night and I dislike ironing so much (and the kids go to bed late / I am not sleeping at night) that I'm not willing to do that. So all the ironing gets left in baskets and not put away - the mess then annoys me.

I've been shaking out the clothes when wet and hanging them straight away and I have noticed some difference in how wrinkled they are. I'm not entirely convinced that I can get away with not ironing completely but it's a good step forward :)
DD - breastfeeding

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Isn't there some trick about hanging a shirt in a steamy bathroom to semi-iron it?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:11 pm

Esther wrote:Isn't there some trick about hanging a shirt in a steamy bathroom to semi-iron it?
Whenever I've tried this, I end up with a wet shirt haha
DD - breastfeeding

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Jenbt85 wrote:
Esther wrote:Isn't there some trick about hanging a shirt in a steamy bathroom to semi-iron it?
Whenever I've tried this, I end up with a wet shirt haha
I've done this - I don't think it helps with a really polished look, but to get the worst of the creases to fall out, and to freshen something up. I have done it when travelling (because I'm not paying for the hot water) and in an organised fashion for formal gowns that won't benefit from an iron.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:52 pm

I often end up wearing wrinkled clothes! I sometimes get in the mood for ironing si will do a whole lot in one go. I just try and shake the creases out it or smooth them with my hands. Doesnt really work but I feel at least i tried.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding