Bedbugs?

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Yankee

Bedbugs?

Post by Yankee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Anyone had to deal with bedbugs? I'm worried that DD might have brought them in from childcare. I have half a dozen small pink bumps, smaller than mozzie bites, itchy, and lasting longer than mozzie bites usually do. They're also in a few nooks that I can't imagine mozzies getting to easily (below my bust for one). Today I noticed them on DD too, though they don't seem to be itching her. DH says he doesn't have any but I haven't given him a thorough look over yet.

I've looked in the seams of our mattress and hers, our bedding etc and can't find any trace of them, no sign of feces and no bugs. They're meant to be the size of an apple seed so it's not like they're microscopic!

I've started the process of washing all the bedding in hot water but without finding the actual bugs I can't work out if I'm overreacting. Maybe it is just mozzies?
DD born September 2013

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Re: Bedbugs?

Post by AussieBritLu » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Just incase give the mattresses a good vacuum over too
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:51 am

I had terrible trouble with bird lice bites while pregnant with DD1. DP got one bite and I was covered. I mostly got attacked at night. DP removed a massive nest from ceiling and that solved the problem. Can't remember what they looked like now, sorry, but oh were they itchy!! My GP identified them for me. Sometimes the Poisons Info helpline can point you in the right direction to discover what's causing bites too.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 am

Bird lice, hmm, actually the bites could be that based on the descriptions I'm seeing. But again, no obvious source... Definitely get black birds and pigeons roosting in the yard, and just saw quite a few fledgling pigeons last week. But no nests on the house as far as I can see. There is one in a yucca not far from our outdoor furniture, could they have gotten into the cushions?

At least it's gotten me thinking a bit more widely about what it could be. Still no sign of bedbug feces or bodies so I'm thinking maybe not that?
DD born September 2013

JMc

Post by JMc » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Another option! We had carpet bugs, which are a bit like bed bugs. Itchy bites.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:13 pm

What you describe sounds like the bites DD got last week. A swarm of them around her wrist and another lot on her leg. Very close together and I wondered if they were flea bites but we don't have animals, nor have we been near any. No one else got any bites, and she hasn't had any since. It's a mystery. I didn't think about bed bugs, if it was them I surely would have been bitten too as I end up with her most nights. Let us know if you find out what they are!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 am

Got cats or dogs ? Could be fleas in the carpet. Could also be water/sand bugs if you've been down the beach lately...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:32 pm

We do have a cat although he gets the monthly flea treatment. My current theory is bird mites on the outdoor couch. I sat out on the couch for hours yesterday in the glorious Christmas weather and have another few itchy spots today. im going to start wearing DEET when I'm out there and see if that helps.
DD born September 2013

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:15 am

It could be heat rash too.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding