The bulk buying annual m'ship warehouse....

For all your recipes, household hints and any other home related issues.
Tilly

The bulk buying annual m'ship warehouse....

Post by Tilly » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm am seriously thinking about getting a membership for organic purchases (coconut oil, chia, EVOO, eggs etc etc).

BUT. I'm also a firm believer in supporting small business..,,

BUT finances are tight'ish and I need to save where I can....

.....and oh my WORD do I love a bargain!

For those w membership is it even POSSIBLE to stick to a list? The organics good??

What do you buy???
Proud Mummy of two gorgeous girls....

Jasmine 25th June 2008
Matilda 9th March 2011

Yankee

Re: The bulk buying annual m'ship warehouse....

Post by Yankee » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm shameless. I either go with my SIL (she has to pay for the lot and I pay her back my half) or once I signed up, shopped, then refunded my membership. You can do that, but you're blacklisted for 12 months (or at least that was the rule last I checked, ymmv).
DD born September 2013

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:50 pm

I've never been and have no interest in going. I wonder if you have any alternatives. For example I'm a member of an organic co-op through which I can place a monthly order for organic goods below retail cost. I find it satisfies both my desire to shop ethically and my need to stick to a budget. Its also so easy as I place my order online then pick up from a local collection point when its ready. The downside is there is no flexibility about when you order, each month has a set close date and then there is a fairly slow turn-around time of at least 2 weeks before the order is ready which means I really need to plan ahead (something I have always struggled with). And occasionally they make mistakes, for example this month I got jasmine rice instead of basmati and rolled oats instead of quick oats... but I still love it :-)
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I have a membership and find I can save well when shopping- as long as I go with a list and u se self control! Lol!
We have petrol at ours, so that saves me lots. You need space to store all of your bulk purchases- loo paper, paper towel etc.

They stock aussie products too, and I have found some smalle aussie companies products are fabulous- eg cheese! It's yummy, aussie owned and made and is heaps cheape than the regular supermarket.

There is a good range of organics, but I don't ususLly buy, nor do I buy fruit and veg or meat there. Well I haven't yet. I shop fruit n veg locally, same with meat. But meat prices are good there!

And the lamingrons.... My kryptonite...... Lol!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh and if you PM, I can send you a link to a fan page that had prices, products etc and can ask questions etc!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 pm

We joined up 3 years ago. We are about to move away from our local store, but we are planning to drive 2+ hours every couple of months, just to keep shopping there.
We buy kids clothes, women's clothes, socks, meat, fruit, veg, towels, sheets, cutlery, pillows, toiletries, flour, eggs, milk, toilet paper, tissues, nappies, wipes, training pants..... maybe it would be easier to list the things we DON'T buy from there???
Apart from the discounts, we also maintain our membership as all purchases have a warranty while you remain members. Yes, I have confirmed that, many times, with staff members.
Oh- and we spend so much time there, I have a staff member who is a close friend. She came over to my birthday a few months ago.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:37 pm

We are fairly recent new members - maybe four or five months. I have kept pretty close track and buy things we would otherwise buy a lot of at our local supermarket. I haven't bought a lot of their fruit and veg because we have a box. What I have bought has been good quality and kept much longer than supermarket produce. I am picky though - if their apples are $6 a kilo I just don't buy them, if their asparagus comes from Peru I don't buy it. They seem to be good for leafy greens in particular.

I don't buy everything there because we try to buy Australian as much as we can - so I don't buy their 75c a tin tomatoes from Italy. But their milk comes from the same bottling plant as 'Canberra Milk' and a lot of the things they have are the same brands we buy at the supermarket, just cheaper and in bigger tins/boxes.

I find their range weird though and I can't get everything - coconut flour but no wholemeal, bicarb but no baking powder, whole oats (american brand) but no quick cooking oats (unless you like the flavoured sachets). So I have to go to the regular supermarket intermittently as well. I think if you were paleo it would be very good - they have a lot of grain free options and people who eat meat tell me theirs is good (but without the cheeky jokes I get from my local butcher who is struggling with the competition.) They have awesome kosher dill pickles :)

They are really close to me - it only takes five minutes longer than going to the regular supermarket, and the parking is easier so it comes out about even.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either