Holidays

For many reasons, some mothers find themselves being the sole parent of
their child or children. This category is for those who may be full time
solo parents or for those whose partners work away from home for extended
periods of time, and for every solo parenting situation in between!

Please be aware of our Forum Guidelines and be conscious of your personal
safety when posting.

Westaussie77
Counsellor

Holidays

Post by Westaussie77 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm

I am wondering if you've had a solo parent holiday or not?

How do you work it out?

I went camping with my two 7 (Autism) & 9 yo and it didn't work out so well

7 day holiday and day 3 sent the 7yo back to grandparents.

Over the 6+ years I've been single, I've had holidays without kids or had another adult with me (my mum, both my parents or my grandmother -now decd). This time I wanted to be independant and give my parents a break as they help me out a fair bit. It all backfired and i was left feeling inadequate, guilty for sending my youngest home and sad

Now not feeling confident about future holidays, in fact not sure I will take my kids away again
Westaussie77

DD Nov 2003 - Breastfed 17mths
DS Nov 2005 - Breastfed 44mths
Solo Parent since April 2006

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 pm

hugs...
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Huge hugs WA77. I can imagine you were really looking forward to a family holiday and are feeling really disappointed.

Maybe camping was just a bit too much with the two of them and keeping everyone safe etc? Or maybe your DS was just having a rough couple of days?

I don't think you should give up on holidays completely at all! Getting away and spending time out of your usual routine can be really rejuvenating. I guess the challenge is finding something that meets everyone's needs and doesn't cost a fortune.

Did your DD enjoy having that one on one time with you?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 pm

I went on holiday in November for a week and organised to take my mum with me. As it turns out my sister came along too. I just couldn't do it on my own - DD is too difficult and we would have been restricted with what we could do. Eg. we played mini golf. I couldn't just relax and play with DS as I had to keep herding DD back to us, telling her to stop hitting things with her golf club or jumping into the water (mini pools). So I had 3 pairs of eyes on her, so I could at least spend sometime playing with DS.

Also, I think I would just be bored by myself with no adult company, so I like to have someone else come.

Dont think of it as a fail. Your 9 yo might think of it as a great time he had just with his mum. But I do think holidays are one of the most difficult thing to plan as a single parent.
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Hugs, you sounds really disappointed that it didn't work out.

Do you think that its a bit of a trial and error thing of where you can take them and know that its going to be ok and not so overwhelming for them?

FSO
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

akinasmum

Post by akinasmum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 am

How is that a failure? There would be heaps of people with more than one adult on a holiday who struggle - go home early - or just fight the whole time.
If you can look after your kids by yourself everyday then you can do it when away. So camping is out. Well that's what they built cabins for!
Think positive - by the time you have saved money for your next holiday I am sure you will have broken down what went wrong this time and you can plan for something different next time :D
Devil Womans Mum

MM

Post by MM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 am

Hugs. My mum was a single mum and we often used to go camping with another family (they weren't quite a single parent family, but the dad was a total grump and hated holidays). I think that made things heaps heasier and more fun for my mum.
DS - May 2011

s squirrel

Post by s squirrel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am

Not technically a single parent, but DH works away - in WA for 5 or so months each year. This year we are doing a road trip to go and see him.
So that's me, DD5 and DS2 and maybe a bump(?) we will be staying with friends and swaging it at other times. I'm ballparking 10,000k and roughly 3ish weeks.
I'd like to think it will all go well, but well, sometimes things just go to sh!t - it can happen when you are at home, just as it can happen when you are away on holidays :?
May I be so bold as to ask what happened that you felt you needed to send the 7yo home(?)
I really hope you can work around what ever happened - holidays are for you too!
Much love
Xoxox
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK

Westaussie77
Counsellor

Post by Westaussie77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:53 am

Lots of meltdowns and lots of agressive behaviour to his sister and I and other campers including children doing the right thing....autism isn't fun
Westaussie77

DD Nov 2003 - Breastfed 17mths
DS Nov 2005 - Breastfed 44mths
Solo Parent since April 2006