Solo Parenting a Special Needs Child

For many reasons, some mothers find themselves being the sole parent of
their child or children. This category is for those who may be full time
solo parents or for those whose partners work away from home for extended
periods of time, and for every solo parenting situation in between!

Please be aware of our Forum Guidelines and be conscious of your personal
safety when posting.

Westaussie77
Counsellor

Solo Parenting a Special Needs Child

Post by Westaussie77 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Anyone out there solo parenting a special needs child....or do you as a parent have special needs?
Westaussie77

DD Nov 2003 - Breastfed 17mths
DS Nov 2005 - Breastfed 44mths
Solo Parent since April 2006

~K~

Post by ~K~ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Me me me!! Ds2 is autistic and they want me to have dd tested for the same. Ds1 is adhd and odd. So technically none of them are particularly special needs, all of them are challenging but I wouldn't know any different :-D

My brother was severely handicapped after a drowning accident so I also understand stuff beyond what I deal with.

Can I help?

mummysairsair

Post by mummysairsair » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm

DS has very recently been diagnosed with chronic medical issues, so not technically special needs as in a disability. Certainly additional needs though, as we are having to make adjustments (physical, social and emotional) at home and school to help him live a relatively normal life :?
Patience.. It's what parents have when there are witnesses ;)

Westaussie77
Counsellor

Post by Westaussie77 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm

My son is struggling at school (Year 1). Has heaps of trouble controlling emotions and socially. Needs structure, warnings of change etc. He is seeing psych, plus team coming into school to assess where he is at. Paed appointment in June. Possibility he may have Aspbergers/ASD. As a single mum I don't know how I can keep running him to appointments and keep studying, etc.

Suggestions please
Westaussie77

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 am

Hi West

Both my boys are on the spectrum, DS is asperger, DS2 is PDDNOS. I'm not single, but if you need any general help you can email me. It is hard getting them to the appointments, especially as you don't live in Perth and often you just have to go to Perth to get the help you need. Still there are quite a few services nearish to you. I found the first year was the hardest, because that year we needed lots of help, after that we just worked on our own. I found books to be really helpful, because they were always there :)

Westaussie77
Counsellor

Post by Westaussie77 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks Jenny. I am also lucky I have support from local counsellors here and one in Perth who has sons with ASD. Gotta love my ABA family :-)
Westaussie77

sooty

Post by sooty » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Feebs pointed me in the direction of this.
My LO has high functioning autism (Old term, Aspergers).
He struggled a lot emotionally and socially and got evaluated and assessed by a psych as having autism. The psych has been fantastic and been able to put more in place that is relevant to helping him than what the paed has been able to (I'm sure she just takes my money while the psych does all the work). As a single mum, I rely on a great support network, esp since I live rurally and need to travel to access services.
I'd suggest talking to Barbie also as things seem to work differently in WA than the rest of the country. :wink:
Please contact me via the book if you have any questions as I am never on here anymore.
Cheers.
Never make anyone a priority in your life, when you are only an option in theirs.