Not Ovulating

Trying to conceive? This is the place to talk to others in your situation.
Nikki84

Not Ovulating

Post by Nikki84 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 am

Hi,
We are currently trying to conceive our second child however I haven’t ovulated since stopping the mini pill 5 weeks ago.
My son is 14mth old and still BF through the night. He’s completely weaned during the day however will feed up to 5 times a night.
My question is should I completely wean him or are there other options/tips/tricks that might start ovulation? I would like to continue nursing however we do want to fall pregnant again asap.
Prior to falling pregnant with our first my cycles were very regular and it took five months of actively trying to conceive him.
Thanks in advance!

JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Not Ovulating

Post by JennyD » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 am

It might be worth waiting a little longer. Sometimes it can take a number of weeks to ovulate after stopping the mini pill, no matter how you are feeding your baby. A lot of mums find it takes quite a while for their system to reboot after hormonal contraceptives. Hopefully you'll ovulate in the next few weeks, but it may take longer.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:30 pm

I'd give it time. For my first baby it took 4 months for my cycle to really get back to normal after coming off the pill. If you're getting AF, you're on the right track and it's likely just a matter of time for the hormones to settle.
DD born September 2013

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Everyone is different. When TTC #1 I went off the pill and got my period 42 days later, whereas I know others whose cycles started straight away.

Lots of women can get pregnant while breastfeeding, but I had to wean DS at 10 months so we could TTC #2. DD is now just over 2 years old and there's still no sign of my cycles returning! (I have been charting to check) We would like to try for #3 but I have a feeling I will need to wean her completely - not easy as she's a boob addict. I night weaned her at 19 months and shortly after dropped her day feeds down to 2 or 3, and even that hasn't kicked started things. Ive also tried a herbal supp called chaste tree to no avail. Where I live there's no way to get to an acupuncturist easily without the kids in tow, but we're moving in June so I may try acupuncture after then. It helped me to get pregnant with #1. I think someone on here (fellare?) mentioned that they used chlomid to kick start things while breastfeeding but I'm not sure I want to try that at this stage.

5 weeks isn't long to have waited though, I would probably wait a bit longer. Did your cycles return before you started the mini pill?
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker