Cant believe It's been 3 years since I've used this forum!

Trying to conceive? This is the place to talk to others in your situation.
Lilysmum04

Cant believe It's been 3 years since I've used this forum!

Post by Lilysmum04 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:41 am

Hello everyone,

I found this forum incredibly helpful when breatfeeding my first child. I ended up successfully breatfeeding for 14 months which I was very proud of. I've now come back because we've decided to try for another baby. It took us a long time to reach this decision, DD was a difficult baby but once that settled down I started studying to be a nurse. I've now had almost 12 months of post grad experience as an RN and we feel that this is the right time before DD gets even older! (she is 4 this year)
This is the first month that we have tried, I did not start graphing my temperatures or anything like that I just recorded the first day of my last period. I have no idea how long my cycle usually is and therefore no idea when we should have been having sex. I spent the first half of this month thinking that every woman in my family says how she falls pregnant at the drop of a hat and that we should just go the natural way, but now both me and my partner have ourselves so psyched up for this pregnancy that I wish I had done ovulation wee tests or something. It's been around 3 weeks since my last period so pretty sure ovulation is over. I took an early HPT (ok I've been testing every day for a week) and they've all been negative! I know it may be too early to test but I cant help feeling obssessed/panicked/convinced that it hasn't worked all at once.
To add to this I keep having this vivid nightmares about trying to latch DD on at the hospital (which really isn't helped by the fact that I now work in that same bloody hospital and occasionally in the maternity unit when they are short staffed).
Firstly I'm wondering exactly which is the best way of testing for ovulation so I know for next cycle and secondly does anyone have any tips on trying to distract yourself from going mad as you wait to see of your period comes?

Thank you lovely ladies.

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:54 am

Hello!

I used a period tracking app, that also indicated where they thought I would be ovulating. I bought an ovulation test kit (in the pregnancy test section) where you test your urine in a similar way to a pregnancy test and when the test is positive, you are ovulating.

In terms of keeping sane in the two week wait, I have no tips! I had actually thought that I would never fall pregnant (my mum fell pregnant first try for both me and my brother so I assumed I'd be the same and it took us five months, which felt like forever at the time). I had decided to stop trying the month I fell pregnant!!

In terms of the nightmares, is there someone you can "debrief" with?

Congrats on your 14 months of breastfeeding!

JMc

Post by JMc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 am

Hi! I have no advice for the the two week wait. I go a bit crazy. I guess just keeping busy? Haha! I try to assume my period is going to come and not test until it hasn't. Then I get cross :-(

Have you heard of the fertility awareness method? It involves tracking both your cervical fluid and taking your temp first thing (before you get out of bed or even roll over and kiss dh!). I have an app for it that has heaps of info so teaches you how to use it and when you're fertile etc. it can use it to help conceive or aid contraception (know when to use condoms or abstain). I can pm you the name of the app if you are interested.

Hope you are pregnant right now!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

Lilysmum04

Post by Lilysmum04 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks ladies :)
I am very much liking this app idea. Any links you could share would be wonderful. I also now have a lovely digital thermometer to track my temps. I'm going to start now just out of interest and for something to do for the next week until my period is due!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I tracked my temp mostly to give myself something to do, and I didn't let myself test until more than two weeks after ovulation.

Welcome back and good luck!
DD born September 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not the only long-term forumite - what was your username?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Welcome back!

I use billings method and now got an app to log that data.
You could debrief with a counselor. Perhaps visit your local group to get to know them and prepare for next bub
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:12 am

Mummy woo! wrote:I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not the only long-term forumite - what was your username?
Me too :-)

There was a really helpful website I used when TTC (but I can't remember what it was called) and the support I got here was amazing. If I can think of the website I'll PM you.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Lilysmum04

Post by Lilysmum04 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm pretty sure my username was still lilysmum but maybe with a different number on the end :S haha, I can't quite remember :)

The billings method sounds good, looks like I've got a lot of research to do! At least that will be something to keep my mind occupied :)

Thanks!

Lilysmum04

Post by Lilysmum04 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Also I recognize some of these usernames, good to see that you're all still here and keeping up the good work and wonderful advice!

nat*4

Post by nat*4 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Totally off topic, but how are you finding nursing?? I'm starting Uni this year (eeeeeeekkk), How did you cope with studies and a little one?? Was it easy to find work??

Sorry for highjacking :P:P
DS1 2003, DS2 2008, DS3 2010 and some little angel babies <3<3
Hoping to add to my little brood :):)

Lilysmum04

Post by Lilysmum04 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 am

Haha! No worries nat,
I started studying at uni when dd was 10 months, it was tricky at times. Dd attended a few classes with me especially cos she was still bfing at the time.
If your lecturers are supportive and kind it can make all the difference, some lecturers are not as understanding and can be downright rude about it. In saying that I knew many women who had 3-6 children and still made it work!
I've been working now for 12 months. I didn't have any trouble finding work but i still don't have a permanent job, everything I do is contract or casual. And casual work in my opinion is totally evil. It might sound great getting payed more and choosing your own hours but you're giving up just about every working right you have to get tht extra pay and you are basically just permanently on call. You will have nurse managers calling you from 6 am until 10 pm at night. So try to get a permanent job after you graduate if you can :) living anywhere other than qld will help you too!

Lilysmum04

Post by Lilysmum04 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:47 am

Also with the sheer volume of students choosing to stuy nursing, it is more and more difficult to find a graduate position. The odds are crazy, from my uni over 300 students graduated in my cohort from nursing, and in my region all 3 hospitals offered a grand total of 11 grad positions. Meaning that the rest of us had to scrape by on casual work, go to GP's offices, nursing homes or travel far and wide for work. I am glad I did this but when I think of all the stress it's caused my family (more the casual work than the study) I dont know if I'd choose to go through it again. Sorry to be a downer, you've probably asked me that at a bad time. I'm a little burnt out from taking every casual shift offered to me in fear that the work will run out soon, I haven't had a proper weekend in a few months and now that we're TTC dh says I have to quit one of my jobs so I don't have as much stres!

nat*4

Post by nat*4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks love.. I have heard it is harder and harder to get work.. Even for placements hospitals used to take 20+ students and now they're taking 2 at a time.. Hmmm food for thought..
DS1 2003, DS2 2008, DS3 2010 and some little angel babies <3<3
Hoping to add to my little brood :):)