Bunk beds....

Trying to conceive? This is the place to talk to others in your situation.

Bunk beds....

Postby marie7 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 am

Purchased and set up today!!! This marks the 'official' beginning of our ttc #3 journey!! Excited much?!!!! Now some tips, what did others do before ttc, I think I did papsmear, bloods, to ensu I'm all healthy!? And I'm already taking a pregnancy and breastfeeding vitamin. Anything else?! Oh and lots of shagging? Haha i can usually tell ovulation by counting days and clear mucus, but what's that temperature thing I've heard about?? Tia :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :D :D :D
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)
marie7

Postby s squirrel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 am

I've got to admit, I was thinking 'what the heck have bunk beds got to do with DTD and TTC'...
You are super super organised on that front, but the child safe people don't recommend the use of a top bunk until a child is 9yo see -> http://kidshealth.schn.health.nsw.gov.au/sites/kidshealth.schn.health.nsw.gov.au/files/safety-factsheets/bunk-beds.pdf
Sorry to be unfun :(
But I'm sure you'll enjoy some of the other bits you mentioned :lol: :wink:
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK
s squirrel

Postby manomummy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 am

Not sure about the temp thing, but wanted to wish you a fun short journey :wink:
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started
manomummy

Postby marie7 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:30 am

Oh wow!! 9!!! Thanks for that squirrel!! Lucky were getting the bunk on top with the double bed on the bottom, and ds1 bed is going in to ds2 bedroom... So he won't need to sleep on the top for another year or so, but not 9!!! Hel be 5. I guess wel have to practise and assess the risks :D we mainly wanted another bed for us too, as ds2 was on the floor on the mattress which was mighty uncomfortable for feeding and lying with him! So at least we have a spare double and beds for both boys now!! I'm just sooooo excited that wel have another little one on the way soon!! I hope!!
marie7

Postby Penguin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm

I know that some people do bunks with a trundle when the kids are little, then when the oldest is old enough to go on top the trundle is just for sleepovers etc.

You could always do three in the double bed on the bottom,or two on the bottom and bub in a cot/ toddler bed nextto it?

Do you need a whooping cough booster?

Congrats, very exciting.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Gwen's Mum » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Ooh, exciting! Congrats on the start of another journey, marie7! :)

From memory I got basic bloods to ensure iron etc was okay (although I was donating blood up to just before TTC, so knew that overall things were fine - i.e. no communicable diseases, iron levels were okay). I also took folate tabs, made sure my whooping cough booster was up-to-date, and I think I got the flu vax while we were TTC as per the recommendation. Oh, and I got my german measles/rubella immunity checked, too (I'm slightly paranoid because one of my cousins is profoundly deaf after her mum contracted GM while pregnant :( ).

I didn't really chart cycles or take temps or anything - seemed like a lot of work! And we didn't have any real hassles, so didn't want to stress ourselves out with complicated stuff. :wink:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby marie7 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I do want to make sure my iron ect. Is good!! And I do need a whooping cough vax! I think the plan with the bunks is to have ds2 in a bed, ds1 in the bottom bunk bed and when bubs comes along we will play musical beds for awhile! Which may mean ds1 on the top bunk, me and bub on the bottom, ds2 in his single and dh in our bed!! I have a cot that turns into a toddler bed, but I then can't lie with ds2, or feed in it, and he certainly won't sleep in a cot anymore!! I think dh was using the, 'once we buy bunk beds' as a symbol of being ready to have a third child, iykwim? As we now can see raising 3 children in this house, having enough room for them before we upgrade in 5ish years time, but until then we need the boys to share a room :wink:
marie7

Postby marie7 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Oh, and if anyone has any of that temp. Experience or info that would be great too!!
marie7

Postby Yankee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Marie I tracked my basal temperature. Mostly because I'm an analytical type so I really just wanted to see how it worked!

What you do is print out a chart to keep by your bed along with a thermometer. Every morning as soon as you wake up you take your temp before you get out of bed. You're looking out for a steady temp shift of about .2 or .3 C that shoots up and stays up until you have your period. That jump means you ovulated.

BUT there are a lot of caveats! You have to have at least 4 hours of steady sleep before you take your temp, and wake up about the same time every day. Otherwise your temp could jump for other reasons, not ovulation. Also, like most indicators of ovulation it's best to have sex a day or two BEFORE the temp spike. So really it's best at giving you an idea of how regular your cycle is.

It may be easier for you two to just use cervical mucus and approximate timings!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby marie7 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Oh wow! Thanks Yankee! I think that would be near impossible with my 2!! Haha all good, we've had a good run with clear mucus and timing so wel do it that way for a few months and if not successful wel look into it more!! Thanks again!!
marie7

Postby fellare » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:03 am

good luck and have fun!

I reclkon the mucus thing is most reliable. and lots and lots of shagging.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Karen81 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 am

Happy baby making Marie :)

We did our last pregnancy journey together. Won't be joining you for your next but I'm a wee bit jealous :)

Good luck x
Karen81

Postby strolltotheshops » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 am

There's a popular website that has free online charts and a free app to record your observations (temp, mucous, intercourse, etc). They also have a free basic online course that's quite useful. I'm not sure if I can post the name/link here. I'll PM you.

The Billings website also has some basic info and sample charts available for free. Your local library might have a Billings book.
strolltotheshops

Postby lovely mummy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 pm

we went with a similar bunk & it's worked well - inevitably we find both kids in the bottom bunk in the morning keeping each other company. We recently bought some clip on lights from the alternative supermarket so each child has a light.
The hardest part is changing the sheets - it is REALLY difficult & cumbersome with our bunk. You also need to be conscious of the weight limit in the top bunk - that's why we change the sheet at ground level & get the mattress back to the top.
lovely mummy

Return to Trying to conceive?