Do i have to night wean to be able to fall pregnant?

Trying to conceive? This is the place to talk to others in your situation.

Do i have to night wean to be able to fall pregnant?

Postby silverruby_2000 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my research with aiming to TTC in Oct/Nov this year (timing wasn't right earlier in the year as i'd hoped), and i have read that women need to night wean to fall pregnant because of some magic hours between 9pm and 6am need to be nurse free. I can't find any information that backs this up and in my heart i'd like to think that it's rubbish.

My son is 2 yo, and nurses frequently over night, but i'm not sure if he actually gets any milk. I don't have a sensitive let down sensation so i've got no idea 90% of the time if he's actually getting anything, or just has my nipple in his mouth for comfort. During the day he's either at Child Care or in someone else's care, so doesn't nurse much during the day except maybe the odd day where i feed him to sleep.

I've had my period for over a year and my 'Maybe Baby Ovulation Microscope' says that i'm ovulating - but it also says that breastfeeding affects the results.

I'd love to hear some opinions on if it is possible to fall pregnant without night weaning.

Thanks,
Claire

silverruby_2000

Postby jessles » Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 am

I've fallen twice while still night feeding. That being said, they weren't all night feeders though.
jessles

Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Postby Yankee » Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

I could be wrong, but I thought that if you were having periods that meant that you were back to ovulating 'normally' (or at least, as normally as you were before falling pregnant).
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Vahvempi » Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm

i fell PG when DD was 4.5m and she was fully BF rond the clock. I fell PG with 'baby' when DS was 2y2m.

having to night wean to fall PG is a load of rubbish.
Vahvempi

Postby whitto04 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm

I have gotten pregnant twice while still night feeding. It was only when my supply reduced due to pregnancy that my nursling decided it wasn't worth the effort to feed overnight.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!
whitto04

Postby silverruby_2000 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Thank you all so much! You have given me much hope. I thought it didn't sound right. (I've also fb messaged Pinky McKay on the topic, so i'll be interested if she replies).

Now to start focussing on losing some weight and start my vitamins.

It's exciting now. I wasn't excited earlier in the year, but i think the timing is better.

silverruby_2000

Postby Snake Hips Mcroy » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I don’t think it’s necessarily as straightforward as “yes you can night feed and get pregnant”. Some people can, but others can’t.

Your body produces more prolactin during night feeds than for day feeds – which is why night feeding can suppress ovulation. However, if the ovulation kits say you are ovulating, then you probably are. I started charting my temperature when I was ttc, because I was still night feeding my toddler too, and my periods were non existent, then irregular. The first month i recorded a proper temperature shift (ie ovulated) was the month I fell pregnant. It kinda coincided with my ds feeding less at night and sleeping longer stretches, so I think that may have lowered my prolactin levels just enough to ovulate.

I’ve never used an ovulation kit, but I imagine that a positive is a positive – I’m pretty sure when they say breastfeeding can affect the results, it’s more that breastfeeding can delay ovulation, so your cycle appears to be irregular, or longer than usual. Also, regular ‘proper’ periods (ie not too light or short) are probably another good indication that you are ovulating. If you really want to know, you could try charting and check whether your temps match the ovulation kits?

Or you could just enjoy the ride and not stress!
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ
Snake Hips Mcroy

Postby silverruby_2000 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Oh how i wish i could be one of those 'come what may' people, but i'm a planner down to the n'th degree even as much as it annoys me.

I should start charting. I didn't do it with any consistency with DS. So i take my temp first thing in the morning and then when it goes up, that's ovulation?

Cool.

C xx

silverruby_2000

Postby Snake Hips Mcroy » Thu May 09, 2013 2:32 pm

This is a daggy admission, but i used an app on my phone that tracked it for you - it was pretty helpful, cause it figured it all out for you. But you can just plot it on graph paper if you want.

But yeah, you take your temp as soon as you wake up - ie before you move around too much, do a wee or get out from under the blankets. You also need a pretty good thermometre, cause the shift is only about 0.4 of a degree. A basal thermometre makes it easier to see the shift cause it gives you 2 decimal points, whereas most thermometres only give you one.

Basically the day the temp goes up was the day you ovulated - ie you needed to have had sex that day, or the day or two before - once you see the temp shift it's too late. But it's a pretty accurate way to know IF you are ovulating, and therefore if it if possible to fall pregnant that month.
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ
Snake Hips Mcroy

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

I think it really depends on the person. I had to wean completely for my cycles to come back, I was charting my temps so was able to see quite easily that I ovulated a month after weaning), but I know of many others who did not have to wean to fall pregnant. Only one way to find out and that's to give it a try and see what happens!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby wilfred » Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 am

I fell pregnant with DD2 while still feeding DS2 a lot, he loved his boobies. My periods weren't regular, and I have severe endometriosis, and we needed lots of help to fall with the other 3.

Sometimes, amazing things happen. :-D
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks
wilfred

Postby marie7 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:03 pm

I think when your ovulating your ovulating, so if the maybe baby thing is saying you are, you would be, but I do think more frequent feeding can alter your cycles tho... It didn't happen to me with ds1 but with ds2, I had had 2 periods since ds2 was born i got it back by nightweaning, and on my 3rd cycle I was sure I was pregnant but nope my period was just late, because I ovulated late... The reason being I think is I nightweaned, then began night feeding again! So it threw my ovulation later hence my period came later... I do think tho it's not always about night feeding it's the longer gap you have in between feeds that do it too.
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)
marie7

Postby silverruby_2000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am

Well I was able to answer my own question.

The answer is 100% (for me) no, you don't have to night wean to fall pregnant because...

I'm PREGNANT!!!!!! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 @#!#@!@pregnant smile

silverruby_2000

Postby fellare » Wed May 29, 2013 9:45 am

congrats!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby katsbi » Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am

Congratulations! :-D :-D
ImageImage
ImageImage
katsbi

Location: Brisbane (Storkee of Cap[DS], Slayer[DD2], and Penguin[DD3])

Next

Return to Trying to conceive?