Promoting local businesses during our ABA meeting

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
four&out

Promoting local businesses during our ABA meeting

Post by four&out » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:08 pm

This is not the right section but I actually dont want my GL seeing this post because I have 'complained' to her but it fell on deaf ears and I know that she does not visit this forum but definately would not have access to here IYKWIM.

My issue is, and god I hope that I am correct otherwise I have grizzled for no good reason.

Okay, we have a local'ish lady that is hiring capsules, cots, prams, monitors, breastpumps and what not and is an actual business. She has been attending the last few meetings and is apparently an ABA member but has only stated coming since starting up her 'baby hire equipement' business.

A few meetings ago she handed around her catalogue and gave a little speel on what she does, all of this was during an ABA meeting, not at the close of the meeting. She probably had a good 20 min speel describing her products and the advantages of hiring through her.

She is now looking at becoming a counsellor (which is great if it is for the right reasons) and it has also been pencilled in that she presents her products/business in greater detail at another meeting in the near future.

I was under the impression that we should not be promoting other businesses/products at ABA meetings???? I am correct in thinking that this should not be done?

I mentioned it to the them GL (she has now stepped down) and she did not see a problem with it. I am unsure if the new GL is still going to have her give a talk but I would imagine that the new GL will just go with the flow.

Any thoughts/comments please.

Castor83

Post by Castor83 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:12 pm

its not allowed in the CoE: No Australian Breastfeeding Association meeting or mailing list, or any other aspect of the Australian Breastfeeding Association shall be used to promote the sale of goods or services by any person or organisation other than the Australian Breastfeeding Association without the permission of the Board. No Australian Breastfeeding Association meeting, nor any other aspect of the Australian Breastfeeding Association is to be used for the sale or promotion of goods or services unless benefit to the Australian Breastfeeding Association is the primary consideration. (clause 1.7)

I'm just about finished the first workbook (promote and represent) so I've just covered the CoE in detail!

good on you for questioning it!
Ang.
DD (Jan 2007) - proudly breastfed to 2yrs 8mnth
DS (Nov 2012) currently breastfed
storked by the lovely Mamahen

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:55 pm

mention it again...it does sound like cause for concern.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

BabyGumnut

Post by BabyGumnut » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:57 pm

As a GL I agree that this is not on.

Since you don't really have a GL ATM I suggest bringing this to the attention of your Regional Representative. Do you know who your RR is? If not call the Branch Office (number on main website) and find out.

Any member can approach their RR is they have issues with their GL so go for it.
Married & mum to DD 9 & DS 7 & DD 2. Got a teether/biter/puller/fiddler? solve it with
this Image click my 'www' to order

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:30 pm

As another GL I say it's not on at all!
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012